Chapter 41: Thunder

We got another six! So here we go. Another early chapter. Only two left after this one 😱!

As Phoenix ran for Helena and Maverick, Eric grabbed a hold of Trey and ran after, veering off at the last moment. Noelle had been knocked to the ground when Maverick attacked Helena, and Eric could see the electrical burn marks on her wrist where Helena had held her.

"Here. Now. Do your thing," Eric said to Trey, depositing him at Noelle's side before rounding back.

Phoenix had taken in Helena's shock, holding tight to her hand. She lay on the floor, shaking as the electric current passed through her body, too much for her to take. Eric reached them in seconds and kicked Phoenix with all his might, sending her rolling and breaking the connection. Phoenix lay still, her eyelids fluttering, but she didn't move. Something occurred to Eric, and he turned back to Helena, who was trying to get to her feet.

With a swift kick to the face, she went sailing backward. Eric helped Maverick up, speaking quickly.

"Don't let her up and don't let her touch anything but your boots. Keep her down." He iced his own fists, hardening them and whirling down on Helena from above. Maverick followed suit, sending blows to Helena's back and shoulders and the back of her knees whenever she tried to stand.

"This won't work forever," Maverick said, glancing back at where Phoenix fell.

"Just long enough. Don't worry about her."

"She's been shot full of lightning! How do I not worry?"

"Because she made me realize something. Keep her down." Eric backed away, dropping down to Phoenix and pressing his icy fist to the back of her neck for several seconds. He popped up and joined Maverick again. "One more. Take her down."

"What are you doing?" Maverick gave Helena a particularly strong punch. She hit back to the ground with an angry grunt--as an Ancient, she was too strong to do much more than aggravate and perhaps bruise, but Eric had a plan. He punched Maverick right in the jaw, sending him to the ground. "What the--"

"Trust me and stay down where Phoenix can see you." He plopped onto his knees as Helena fought to push herself upright. Freeing his fingers, he grabbed hold of her wrists, gripping tight. "Trey! With me! Now!"

Trey and Noelle rushed to Eric, and Trey put a hand on Eric's shoulder. Helena bucked, trying to free herself, but Eric froze her wrists together behind her back, keeping the ice constant to hold her.

"You're going to want to see this," Eric said to Helena, gripping her shoulders and whirling her to face Phoenix's body.

Helena struggled against him. "What--see her dead again? I've seen it before. I hope she doesn't come back this time."

"Do you know why she's down? Because no one can control the force of lightning completely. If that were me, I'd be dead. But I know something Tremaine never knew."

"And what's that?"Helena growled through a bleeding lip.

"You killed him with lightning--something that would knock you down just like it knocked Phoenix down, but it wouldn't kill you, and it didn't kill her." Eric tightened his grip on Helena's shoulder, waiting. "But he could just as easily have killed you--and that's the reason you've always been afraid of people like Trey and me."

#

Phoenix's eyes opened and saw Maverick prone on the ground, his eyes open and looking at her. Fury and pain beyond reason exploded inside of her. Helena was a murderer--she'd killed hundreds and thousands, and almost killed Noelle. Maverick--not Maverick. Never Maverick. Heat boiled through her body. There would be hells to pay.