Chapter 38: The Traitor Unmasked

Noelle and Aundreya marched in silence through the halls of the second floor to the grand staircase.

"Why do you listen to her?" Noelle asked, not looking at her sister. "Helena? Why do you do what she says when you're the one with the real power?"

"She promised me I'd be queen."

"But you aren't. And now there's this revolt that even you can't control, and Helena seems to be losing her hold on everything. What happens when this all falls apart?"

Aundreya shot her a dark glance. "What do you care if it does?"

"I don't, not really, but I've just been wondering--after all your years of keeping me in the house locked up with everyone convinced I was dead, how is it that you're not the lackey of a weak old woman like Helena?"

"She has the Ancient on her side," Aundreya said with a sniff.

"But why? Why would the Ancient want Helena when he could have someone like you? Someone who could actually do something special? Why don't you just tell him to get rid of Helena and have you by his side instead? After all, he wants power, but not position. You could be queen and he could be behind you as your advisor or something."

"True." Aundreya considered this as they reached the staircase and descended. "Why are you trying to help me? What's the catch?"

"I just don't understand what hold she has over you. Besides, I think Helena might realize you're a threat. In fact, I shouldn't have said anything so she'd get rid of you and I wouldn't have to see you ever again."

Aundreya stopped on the ground level, her face impassive. "You're right. She's using me. She won't even tell me who the Ancient is--because she doesn't want him to come under my power! It's so clear. Why are we bothering to do as she says? Let her go find that wretched boy."

"But the boy is important to the Ancient," Noelle said. "Shouldn't we--"

"No. We're going back."

#

Entering the castle from the front doors felt strange after all their time living inside the walls. Phoenix caught sight of two skirts disappearing around a corner on the second level, and she pointed.

"There, I saw someone."

"We know where they are," Maverick said. "We should just go."

#

"Did you hear them?" Helena asked, her whole body shaking. She hadn't gone back out onto the balcony, not willing to risk it, but she'd heard it all--they all had. "Standing out there in the crowd claiming their right to the throne. I'll cut each of their throats, starting with Bainon." A dozen generals and soldiers had come into the room at her command and now stood with swords unsheathed, ready to protect those in the room.

Roman watched Helena with caution. He'd never seen her like this, and something in him told him to be very, very afraid. He knew the soldiers she'd brought in--they were her most trusted in the Militia, the ones who would die for her and her cause.

"We'll take care of them. I'd like to see how the townsfolk handle a bit of fog." Mygel cracked her knuckles.

"Oh please, what will fog do to them?" Helena snapped. "What they need is a reminder of what true power is."

Roman's mouth dropped open as he understood.

#

"Trey! You're supposed to wait until we call for you!" Phoenix said as Audra and Trey flickered into appearance on the landing. "We can't risk you getting hurt."