Chapter 31: Be Ready

Castor didn't jump at Altair's sudden appearance. He stood just outside the trees in the south where the Army had made its camp, hiding from Helena's forces. They were using the trees to get by each day, traveling east until they reached the ocean, and then going north to Osha.

"What's wrong?"

"Did you get the message?" Altair asked. "The one we saw Eric try and send?"

"I got a sense that I should come sooner rather than later with the troops. Why? What's wrong?" he repeated, taking a step toward Altair. His companion held up his hands, shaking his head.

"Nothing yet, but they've been rash. Instead of getting in and getting out, they're causing a ruckus in the castle. When Helena realizes they've been there--"

Castor's heart sank. "We'll lose the element of surprise."

"There's some good in what they're doing," Altair conceded. "It will shatter the Militia's confidence for sure, but..." he trailed off, and Castor nodded.

"We need to move quickly. What exactly are they doing?" Altair explained, and Castor resisted the urge to grin. "Any chance they could do it nightly?"

"Nightly?"

"Come back each night--create the same havoc but in different areas so they're never caught. Keep the Militia from sleeping. Even choosing some nights to not go at all--just until everyone can get into position. Especially Phoenix. The more harried the leaders, the less rational they'll be when we attack."

"And the people are coming," Altair said with a nod. "Thousands of them traveling as we speak to Osha's gates, all supplied with beeswax to keep Aundreya's voice at bay."

"If Aundreya's taken out of the equation, the traitor will have to reveal themselves." Castor pursed his lips in thought. "They won't have her to keep everyone in line. If he wants to keep control, he'll have to deal with things himself. Helena won't be enough on her own."

"Especially if she hasn't slept." Altair rubbed his hands together. "All right--move the Army as fast as you can, and I'll see if the trio can keep it up for a few more nights."

"Done."

#

Phoenix slipped out of Noelle's room when she was sure the coast was clear. Glancing down the hall, she spotted one last door, a key sticking out of it just as it had Noelle's. Her heart skipped a beat, knowing who it must be. As she moved toward it, the pendant around her neck burned hot against her skin.

Maverick.

It'd been an hour--time to go. With one last longing look at the locked door, Phoenix retraced her steps. She was almost caught twice by the guards milling around outside Mygel's room. She had to duck behind an oversized vase and search for a way out. They'd managed to get the fire under control, but no one could be sure how it began. She could feel the pulsing embers, still hot around the door frame.

Phoenix focused on the embers, reigniting them. They burst into flames before the guards' very eyes, drawing all their attention and giving her time to sneak by. As she rounded the corner back into Aundreya's corridor, she almost ran into another guard. Luckily for her, he was too focused on getting to Mygel's room to notice Phoenix dashing by in the shadows.

Slipping into Aundreya's room, Phoenix found several lanterns lit, Aundreya huddled in a ball under her covers. With no time to waste, she breezed past the bed and behind the tapestry, pushing on the wall to open the door and let her into the secret passage.

Closing the wall behind her, Phoenix slipped down the steps, scraping her elbow and arm on the stone. Sucking in a breath through her teeth, Phoenix got to her feet and hobbled down the circular staircase until she came upon Maverick. His eyes were bright, even though he seemed pale.

"I was almost caught," he breathed, inspecting her arm when she winced at his hug. "What happened?"

"Made it all the way through and then slipped coming down to meet you. Have you seen Eric yet?"

Maverick shook his head. "No sign. What did you do? I heard screaming."

Phoenix quickly filled Maverick in on Aundreya and Mygel, finishing up with Noelle. Maverick's face hardened as she spoke.

"She blames me."

"Yes, but she's wrong."

"She's not. I told Gwen we shouldn't leave her, but at the time..." he trailed off, swallowing hard. "I wish I could see her."

"We need to get back down to Eric's level. He should be back soon." Phoenix sidled past Maverick, doing her best not to slip down the narrow steps. Maverick followed without a word, and they climbed down until they reached the first door Eric had exited.

"He's not here," Maverick said, frowning. "How long does he need?"

"You don't think--he hasn't been caught, has he?"

"I don't see how he could be. If we both made it back, he should have been fine. Besides, you seemed to be drawing the most attention. The statue I knocked over drew a few guards but they didn't see me."

Phoenix sat down on the steps. "Then we wait here. We can't leave without him. I don't even remember which way is out."

"Which might be for the best."

Phoenix stifled a yelp at the sound of a new voice. She twisted around, looking up the staircase to where Altair had appeared. "What are you doing here?"

"We've had an idea."

#

The hour was up. Eric surveyed his work. He'd found his way to the main staircase and let his frost extend up and down the stairs, covering the entire entrance. A thick layer of ice covered the floors, clear and solid as though the rugs were encased in glass. The frost climbed the walls, forming icicles which clung to the ceiling.

Time to go.

Eric turned back in the direction of the secret entrance and saw a single figure standing in the middle of the hall, eyes wide.

No.

#

"So you think she should just stay here in the walls of the castle?" Phoenix asked Altair, oddly impressed by the idea.

"Cause mayhem at different times of day, in different places, never getting caught - but especially at night so they aren't sleeping. I would think you'll need to take turns so you all still get sleep. It was Castor's idea--it's brilliant."

"We could do that," Maverick said, tapping his chin. "There are so many halls beneath us, I bet there are doors that lead all sorts of places."

"Hopefully with one that leads to the kitchens," Phoenix said. "Or we'll starve."

"I'm sure I can help figure that out. After all, they still trust Youlden. He's been sending them regular, incorrect information about tracking down the heirs. It's high time he returns and reports." Altair shrugged and splayed his hands. "I could probably leave food and drink in strategic places."

"I like the way you think," Maverick said. "Unless you're the traitor, in which case I hope they kill you."

"Understandable."

Phoenix frowned at the door. "Eric's still not back. None of this can happen if--"

She cut off mid-sentence as the door opened and someone stepped inside.

Dun dun DUUUUN!

or no dun duns and it's just Eric and nothing interesting happened...

But what good would that do?