Chapter 26: Castor's Quiet

The fire in the sitting room had gone out. Phoenix and the others had all gone to bed, leaving only the Ancients awake to mill about. Castor sat in a chair in front of the coffee table, having replaced all the furniture after the circle left.

A clock ticked away the seconds louder than normal, the only sound in the room. He didn't need light. The darkness comforted him, letting him shut off his thoughts for a while. 

"You're being stranger than normal," a deep voice said from the doorway behind him.

"I would think you'd be with Audra," Castor replied, not turning to see Altair step toward him.

"She sleeps. I don't." 

"No, you glow incessantly." 

Altair crossed the room and came around the chair to face Castor, who didn't bother looking up. He had thoughts to sort out and needed time to process everything. Something was wrong, but he couldn't quite place his finger on what.

"It's hard not to be joyous, even now," Altair said, settling onto the couch. "I thought she was dead. You don't know what that's like."

"No." Castor steepled his fingers and drummed the tips. "No, I don't." 

"You're avoiding her." 

He could feel Altair's gaze boring into him, but didn't rise to meet it. "Yes."

"You don't deny it?"

"Why deny the truth?"

With a sigh, Altair shifted on the couch, taking a lounging position with his feet up on the cushions. "May I ask why?"

"There's a lot I'm not saying." The image of baby Reed flashed through his mind's eye, and Castor pressed it aside. Eric's son was safe. He'd made sure of it.

"But there must be a reason. You brood, but you rarely back down from a confrontation."

"Confrontation?" Castor finally lifted his head, trying to catch Altair's train of thought.

"With Phoenix--when she realizes who you are." 

Blinking, Castor sat dumbstruck, finally catching on. "I'm not avoiding a confrontation. I never thought there'd be one."

Altair's brows furrowed, his golden curls bouncing as he shifted his weight, dropping his feet back to the floor. He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees as he frowned at Castor. "Then what's the point of any of this? You won't go near her--hardly look at her. I told you to stay away, and I meant it, but you refused before. What's changed now?" 

What had changed? What hadn't changed. Castor leaned forward, matching Altair's stance. "The end is near. You have to feel it. We don't know the outcome of the battle, but we know there will be one. This isn't going to be a drawn-out war fought for decades as powers struggle. This will be settled in one violent fight. The country won't even realize what's happened before it's done. It's going to be down to whoever has betrayed us and those we've sworn to protect." 

"Your point?"

"My point is they don't have time for distractions. Neither of them. There are things both of them deserve to know, but it would only hurt them to tell them. If they knew--if they knew what I know, they wouldn't be able to fight. They would lose. We would lose them and it wouldn't have mattered to know the truth."

"And if you die in this mess? If the traitor gets to you in order to hurt them?"

"It won't hurt Phoenix, and Eric will survive. He always does."

"And what you're not telling him?"

"Others know. My life isn't valuable enough to worry about. Theirs are. I'm not going to be the one standing in their way."

"So you don't want her to remember you," Altair said. "Because you think it will weaken her?"

"You knew Canya. If she'd offered to fight for us, would you have refused? No. Now you know she's Audra, how will you feel if she joins the battle? And Trey--are you honestly going to tell me you're going to be solely focused on Phoenix when Trey is in the middle of the fight. Your son? Ten years old?"

Altair dropped his gaze, his lips pursed as he nodded. "I see what you mean."

"I won't be a casualty in Phoenix and Ares' battle. They will go in--Eric, still a bit angry with me, and Phoenix indifferent. Regardless of what happens to me, they won't lose focus. I will do as they've asked me to do, and I won't worry about living or dying."

"They've asked you to do something?" Altair asked, back straightening. "Something specific?"

Castor nodded, his hands clasped before him. He had to do it. He was the only one who could. He'd revealed himself the moment he saved Eric from Helena and Mygel's wrath. The traitor would undoubtedly know once Helena told what she'd seen.

It had to be him. 

"Why have they not asked me?" Altair asked, a note of concern in his voice. "What is it? We could do it together. We could--"

"No." Castor shook his head. "This is for me to do. Without you."

True fear passed over Altair's face, his blue eyes widening as he shifted, almost out of his seat. "What have they asked of you?"

Castor got to his feet and stepped around the table to put a hand on Altair's shoulder. "Don't worry. I'll be fine."

"Why do I feel as though you're lying?" 

"Perhaps because you know me so well." Castor's lips twitched in an attempt at a smile. "When they come to you, do as they ask. Don't deny them." He squeezed his partner's shoulder and backed away. "Just do as they ask." 

Do you now understand why Castor is avoiding Phoenix at all costs? What a noble guy - doesn't want to get in her way when she's in battle mode. I love him. 

Sorry this chapter is late, but there's a reason...

I HAVE AN EARLY CHRISTMAS PRESENT FOR YOU! The book is done. Yup. Done. I've decided to post at LEAST one chapter a day until the rest of the book is posted. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Words. Now!