Chapter 23: Trapped

The war room was a rectangular room with a slightly smaller rectangular table inside. Maps covered the table. There were no windows so no one could peek in. The floor lined wall to wall in a deep, royal blue carpet that had seen more spills and messes than any other room in the palace.  Candlelit chandeliers hung from the ceiling, offering a gloomy light to any who entered.

Roman sat slouched in his chair, trying to remember why he didn't want to be there. There was something--something at the back of his mind that wriggled around, telling him he'd forgotten something important. 

"You're sure?" General Tso asked Helena, who sat at the head of the table right next to Roman. "You're sure that word is spreading?"

"There are reports of more and more anger and dissension spreading throughout the towns as far west as Achal. It's only getting worse." Helena pounded her fist into her palm. "Someone is spreading rumors about what we've done here. They're saying Roman has no right to the throne."

"Well, he doesn't," Mygel cut in. "He's not an heir."

"And what have the Tremaines done for us?" Helena asked, earning a murmur of agreement from around the table. "We've suffered under their hands--"

"Depends on your definition of suffered," Noelle said under her breath. Roman bit back a smile. 

"And it's time it came to an end." Helena hadn't heard Noelle. "But how do we keep the peace and get what we want? With this many towns threatening to revolt, how do we keep them at peace."

"I thought that was me," Aundreya said, looking a bit miffed. "The whole reason you made me bring her up," she jerked her thumb at Noelle, "was so I could calm everyone."

"But you can't reach all the way to Achal from here." Mygel pointed at the map, noting the distance. "Not even if we could amplify your volume. Which we can't."

"She could travel with soldiers to keep them safe," General Tso suggested. "They could go from town to town--"

"And lose our grip on Osha in the process?" General Sneed asked. "She leaves and we have no one here to keep the people at peace. If we lose Osha, we lose everything. We can close the gate and keep revolters out. We can't get ourselves locked out on the other side."

"He has a point," Mygel said. "What does the Ancient say? Does he have any advice?" 

Helena pursed her lips. "I can't go running off every time I have a problem. Some things you need to figure out on your own. Roman?"

He perked up at the sound of his name. "Hmm?"

"What do you suggest? You're the future king. This is your legacy at stake." 

He opened his mouth to say he didn't want to be king, but Aundreya cut across him. "Remember how much you want to be king, Roman? You've desired it ever since you were a little boy. It's your rightful place. You belong there." 

He glanced over at her and saw she had her hand lightly placed over Noelle's. His brain tried to trigger a memory of what that meant, but he didn't have time.

He had a kingdom to rule. 

"We need to have our men and women in place to fight, ready at the slightest problem," he said, launching into action. "But we won't deploy them. It's better to not be caught with our guard down. I say we send delegates with strong gifts to each city to ease their fears. We want them to know we're on their side."

"Or we could send them to slaughter anyone who stands against them," Noelle suggested, sounding bored. "That's what Narissa did. If you were caught colluding against the crown, you died. It's as simple as that. It kept people in line for nearly two decades."

"She has a point," Helena said, tapping her chin.

"I thought the whole point of the Militia was that we were different from the Army, Bainon and Narissa?" Roman countered. "We're not--"

"Roman, you like the idea of force," Aundreya said. "It was your idea! We don't want traitors in our land. But if it makes you feel better, you could always suggest they have the option of banishment, never to return to Braskey in exchange for their lives."

"No Braskian could survive the lower lands," Noelle said. "They'd have to go through Fangralee to get to any of them."

"Exactly," Aundreya said with a grin. "It's their death by their choice. You like that, don't you Roman?"

No! "Yes." 

"There. The matter's settled." 

Roman closed his eyes, feeling like a prisoner in his own mind. 

Things aren't going well for Roman! Leave him some encouragement in the comments! Let him know you're here for him and you believe he can triumph over Helena and the twins!