Chapter 34: Please Come Back

Noelle pressed against the back wall of the meeting room, choosing to observe. Everything felt tilted and fuzzy, and her head ached from her effort to understand her dreams. Phoenix returned regularly, constantly trying to remind her of what it was like "before".

"It's not that easy."

"Why not?"

"You don't know what I've been through."

"Yes, because dying is such an easy thing to do."

Noelle snorted at the memory, drawing an odd look from one of the Militia underlings. Helena sat at the front of the room with Aundreya. One of the generals--Noelle couldn't be bothered to remember their names--was going over the current situation.

"Someone is breaking into the castle. We have reason to believe it's either Eric Lee or--" he hesitated, and Noelle knew why. There was talk of Maverick returning to the castle, but Noelle had seen many see that as a sign of hope.

Not how Helena saw it.

Glancing around the room, Noelle saw tired, drawn faces as many yawned. No one seemed to be sleeping, least of all Aundreya. Instead of making her sister more docile or slower, as it had the first day, Aundreya seemed to be turning more violent and unhinged. She snapped at anyone who breathed too loudly, and had already forced one maid to break her own wrist for bumping into her.

Noelle's upper hand had disappeared, and she lived in more fear than ever. Part of her longed for the bliss of apathy she'd had for the last few months. It slipped away from her with each passing night, replaced by confusion and despair.

Just get what you want.

But was that even possible anymore? The more she began to feel again, the more Noelle found herself right back where she'd been when she'd first been imprisoned. Her heart ached, and she missed Maverick. She even missed Roman, despite the fact that they were almost always together.

Glancing across the room, she spotted him sitting far more attentive than he had ever been. He seemed almost buoyant...even...happy? Cocking her head to the side, Noelle studied him. Roman wasn't tired like everyone else. If anything, he seemed alert and ready for action.

"I need your help," Phoenix said, sitting on the edge of her bed. "I need you to fix this."

"How? What can I do?"

"You know what you can do. Don't deny it. You're the one who can change the tide."

"Maybe I don't want to."

"Fine." Phoenix stood, arms folded, her face lined with disappointment. "But don't expect me to go easy on you if we have to face off. If I have to, I'll put you down just as fast as I will Aundreya."

Noelle shivered at the thought--not that Phoenix would hurt her, but that she'd view Noelle as the same as Aundreya.

Have I fallen so far as to be the same as my sister? Am I as bad as Aundreya?

In an instant, all of the sound in the room cut off. Noelle blinked, looking around. The general still spoke, and Helena seemed to be speaking as well, but she couldn't hear anything. Trying not to panic, Noelle wiggled a finger in her ear trying to clear it. Still nothing.

"Noelle."

Her head shot up and she spotted Roman, staring right at her. He spoke only at a whisper, but she heard every word.

"Come back, Noelle. We need you. We can't do this without you."

From across the room, Youlden turned to look at her as well. "They're coming for you, Noelle--they haven't forgotten."

Noelle opened her mouth to reply, but no words came out. Just as sudden as it had gone, sound came rushing back, with Helena and General Whoever discussing guard shifts and inspections.

#

"They're in place," Altair said, his huge form blocking the door to the alcove they used to sleep in.

"What?" Phoenix sat upright, turning open mouthed to Eric, who looked wide awake.

"They're in place. They're ready."

"Then we go tomorrow," Eric said, mouth grim. "No time to waste."

WHAAAAT.
We battle tomorrooooow--well, tomorrow in the book.