Chapter 20: Reunited and it Feels so Good

"We need an Army," Phoenix said, getting down on her knees before a small table at the center of the room.

"And we need a plan," Eric said, dropping down across from her.

"We'll need to be clever and quick." Maverick knelt down at the shorter end of the table in between them. "We don't have time for Noelle and Aundreya to maximize their power. We need to get Noelle and Roman out of there."

"We could send out word to any of the Army soldiers who escaped capture," Castor said, completing the table across from Maverick. "I know they all couldn't have been caught, but I didn't exactly have time to put tabs on any of them."

Altair stood over them, arms crossed. "If we get too close, Aundreya will just use her gift to subdue us."

"Not us," Eric and Phoenix said together, both of them digging in their own bags for maps.

"So two of you can go in," Finny said, crossing her arms, "when one of you is supposed to be dead and the other one is wanted dead."

"She makes a point," Bainon said, stroking his beard. "None of us can just waltz right in. Even en masse, that young woman could have us fighting each other."

"Then we have to take out Aundreya before we do anything else." Maverick's lips twitched. "How do we do that?"

"You don't." Trey stood behind Phoenix, his head cocked to the side. "You can't."

"Why not?" Phoenix twisted to look at him, surprised as always by the wisdom behind his young eyes.

"They won't let her leave," Canya said, standing a short ways behind Trey. She itched to leave, her whole body in a constant fidget. "They're afraid if she goes, the castle will go with her. They won't be able to keep the people under their control."

"You have to get to her as quietly as they got to you." Trey pointed at Bainon. "But they'll expect you if you aren't careful."

"The Ancient rises. The key is required," Canya said. "But if the amplifier falls on the wrong side of the game, even the key will fail." She put a hand on Trey's shoulder and squeezed.

"Wait." Altair held up a hand, staring at her incredulously. "You're saying this little boy is supposed to go up against an Ancient traitor none of us have been able to smoke out?"

"They key is the answer to all," Canya said, and her voice wavered. Phoenix frowned at her, sensing her discomfort, but unable to place it.

"A child can't kill an Ancient," Finny said, waving her hand in dismissal. "Only an Ancient can kill another Ancient."

"I wouldn't be so sure," Castor said, shooting a glance at Eric. "I think a powerful Guardian can do just that. I was afraid of Eric for myself and for others."

"This boy is a Guardian?" Bainon asked, turning to take Trey in. "He's awfully young. I hadn't thought any had been born after Tarvril's attempt to murder them all."

"He's the only one," Phoenix said. "At least as far as we know. We don't know who his parents are, but he's very strong." She frowned. "Why would--"

"What?" Maverick asked, eyeing her. "What's wrong?"

"Tarvril."

"What about him?" Eric asked.

"Helena is working with the traitor, right? At least that's what we assume?" Heads nodded. "Then maybe she's known them since she was with Tarvril."

"Okay," Gwen said, still sitting in a chair a ways away. War and politics weren't her cup of tea. "And?"

"And Tarvril tried to have all the Guardians killed," Phoenix said.