Chapter 18: Liar Liar

"Youlden," Phoenix said the name like a foreign word and shrugged. "Samson, Youlden, Castor, Altair. I don't care. What's the difference?"

Bainon cleared his throat. "Normally, family drama doesn't bother me much, but considering what this street looks like," he gestured to the sheets of ice and the damaged building, "we may want to get inside out of sight."

Maverick shot one last look at Altair before nodding and following Bainon, one arm around Phoenix to bring her along. As the passed Eric, Phoenix reached out and pulled him in. The three of them walked united down the street, surrounded by those that were both friends and enemies, depending on the day.

They walked until they reached a large, crooked house. Bainon and Finny didn't pause before entering, and Phoenix and the rest followed. In the long, dark, hallway, they couldn't walk more than two across, filing into a large sitting room with a roaring fire and a nervous looking man.

"Your Majesty," the man said to Bainon, bowing. "Your Highnesses," he said to Maverick and Gwen. He hesitated when it came to the others, but noticed Altair right away. "The Great Altair! What a pleasure sir. We will always be in your debt."

It hit Phoenix then, and she turned to him. "You're the Ancient who kept the town from collapsing--that was you. Why didn't you just say?"

"There's a lot he hasn't said," Maverick growled, arms folded as he stood by the wall opposite them. "I think it's time we clarify a few things."

The owner of the house gave a squeak of a laugh. "I'll--I'll go see about refreshments. I'm sure my housekeeper is nearby. If you'll just--" he vanished, and Gwen frowned after him.

"Why is he so jumpy? Isn't he the man in charge around here?"

Bainon cleared his throat, shifting his weight from side to side. "He, uh, had an unfortunate run-in with my wife last year. She wasn't always as...gracious...as one would hope." His expression darkened and he fell into contemplation.

"All of which is beside the point," Maverick said, his whole body tensed. He snapped his fingers. "Find a seat or stand, I don't care, but it's about time all of you come clean." He pointed at the Ancients and Bainon. "I'm done being lied to."

"Would you have traveled with me if you knew who I was?" Bainon asked.

"Bainon didn't have much choice," Finny said. "He--"

"No." Maverick held up a hand. "If I'm mad at anyone, it is most of all you."

Finny's eyes widened, and she straightened in her chair. "I beg your pardon, Maverick Knight? At what point have I done anything but watch out for you."

"That's rich," Gwen said with a grin as she plopped down onto one of the sofas. "I mean, you're great, Finny. I love you, but if there was a chart to show who lied the most, it'd be you."

"Me?" She glanced around the room. "How me? I told you exactly who I was ages ago--your Watcher. These two have been the ones keeping secrets." She gestured to Altair and Castor.

"Way to throw us to the wolves," Castor mumbled, leaning against Eric's chair. "We did what we had to do. Narissa would never have let me near Eric if she knew what I was."

"True," Bainon said, nodding.

"You knew who he was. All those times he came to Treywick with the Army, you knew exactly who and what he was," Maverick said to Finny. "Just like you knew who Bainon was. Just like you knew who Youlden was. You knew all along and never told us."

"Why are Youlden and Castor's identities so important?" Phoenix asked with a slight raise of her hand, sitting in the chair opposite Eric. "It seems very important, but I don't know why."