Prologue

Eli

"So what's the verdict Doc?"

"I'm really sorry to deliver bad news Eli, but due to the symptoms you've been exhibiting you have a very rare case of Acute lymphocytic leukaemia"

For a second my heart stopped beating.

"What?" My voice came out as a hoarse whisper, so I clear my throat.

Doctor Jane Whittington stared at me with pity. I hate being pitied.

"ALL is mostly common in children aged one to ten,  cases in adults are more likely to result from chromosomal abnormalities, that is the Philadelphia chromosome which makes treatment more difficult and prognosis poorer"

Cancer. I have...cancer.

An image of a nine year old Neil tucked in on herself in defence her face tear streaked flashed in my eyes.

Another image of her crying, of her looking terrified. Then a more recent image of her laughing, of her finally happy.

"Fortunately for you it's still in it's early stages. If we admit you for chemotherapy, steroids, radiation therapy and intensive combined treatments immediately there's a 60% chance of survival." She continued.

Numb. I was numb.

What I thought was a mere typhoid/malaria or even the flu was actually cancer.

"Eli, do you understand what I'm saying?"

"I have a sister" I heard myself say.

"What?"

"She's actually my cousin but I see her as my sister. She's the only family I have left"

"Okay..."

I lifted my gaze to meet hers "she's had a really rough life but these past two years has been really good for her, she's finally happy. I'm not going to ruin that for her"

"It's not your fault Eli, this can happen to anyone. I'm sure she knows that"

My heart was encased in stone as I stare at her sharply. My mind was made up.

"How many years do I have left?"

She looked taken aback "Years?. People with your case of cancer generally have a year or two to live after been diagnosed, it all depends on how strong their immune systems are"

"I've been healthy"

She smiled sympathetically "I know Eli. But you can survive this. All you have to do is..."

I lifted my hand to stop her "I don't care if I die in a year or two but I'm not going to hurt her by letting her see me hooked to machines only for me to die anyway"

Death. Funny I've never thought about how I would die.

"There's a 60% chance of survival" she said gently.

Hope. I refused to feel hope, 70% of those diagnosed  with cancer always die and the remaining 30% lives in fear of it coming back. No, thank you.

"And there's a 40% chance of death. It is what it is. I'm not playing with her emotions like that"

"Don't be a cynic. A lot of people have been diagnosed with cancer, a lot of people were given 30% chance of survival and despite all odds survived"

"Not ALL though. And I'm not a lot of people am I?. Just give me drugs that will dull the pains I feel when the symptoms hit"

"Eli..."

"Don't Eli me Jane. You either give me the fucking drugs or I walk out of here without it. Do you really want that on your conscious?"

She sighed in resignation as she pressed her intercom "Libby?, get me a pack of 640mg Oxycodone stat"

"Yes ma'am"

"You don't have any allergies I should know of right?, any previous sickness?" She asked me.

"Nope"

"Use two tabs when the pain hits. Nothing more nothing less okay?. It's a really powerful drug and can cause other things if not used carefully"

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at the warning. Does she think I enjoy using pills?. Prescription or not I'll only use it when necessary.

Pretty ironic to be diagnosed with cancer when I hate hospitals right?.

I'm Elijah Hunt and this apparently, is my new reality. Alt least, until I die.

A/N:
Cancer is a very dangerous disease,a little message for everyone that's battling with it 'you're all strong and you're going to beat it's butt. Fuck cancer'