23

Zoe

The door opens and Dr Whitcomb walks in.

She sits behind her desk.

"The result is out. You and Eli are a match."

I sag onto the chair in relief, expelling a breath I didn't realize I was holding.

"Congratulations miss Taylor. I'm surprised at how soon we were able to get a willing donor who match, because usually it takes months to get to the top of the hospital's waiting list for bone marrow transplant patient, which Mr Hunt doesn't have."

I turn in my seat and hug Charlie tightly "Thank you so much"

"It's nothing Zoey" she hugs me back.

"Now that we know they match we're going to need to perform a series of other tests to make sure the donor doesn't have any genetic or infectious disease that can be passed to the patient. I'll have to know the donor's family health history, and the donor will have to undergo a physical exam."

"Done. I have my mom's health history with me and I can assure you that my dad doesn't have any genetic disease he could pass to me."

"That's great. We'll perform the tests and physical examination now. Since we've already scheduled the blood transfusion for tomorrow morning, the transplant will have to take place tomorrow night, by 11:00 pm."

"That sounds good." I say.

"Can I have some private moments with the donor?" Dr Whitcomb asks.

"The donor's name is Charlie but sure." Charlie answers

"call me when you're done" I tell Charlie before leaving.

Outside I call Sam. He picks up on the second ring.

"Hey, what's up"

"Remember Charlotte Winchester?" I ask without preamble.

"Daughter of our old neighbor Riley Winchester"

"I met her again a few weeks back. She came to donate her bone marrow for Eli."

"For real?. Wow, that's amazing. Has she gotten her HLA tested?"

"Yeah. She matches with Eli" my voice cracks.

"OH. MY. GOD. That's amazing Zoe!!. God. That's...wow"

"I know right?" A watery laugh escapes my lips "Anyways, I called to ask what floor Neil is and her ward number"
"She's on the sixth floor. Ward 12."

"Thank you Sam. For the blood transfusion and everything else. I'm really glad you're my brother."

"I love you too Zoe"

I hang up and walk straight to the elevator.

At the sixth floor I count the numbers until I got to ward 7.

I knock the door.

"Come in" Neil voice calls softly.

The room looked like a florist's shop. There were flowers everywhere and the scents of the various species of plants were just short of overwhelming.

"I know. Lucas is an exuberant asshole." Neil says.

I glance at her.

She looks small in the large bed.

There's an IV fluid passing through her veins.

Beside her are two bundles.

"Meet Jason and Jacob"