38/ Well This Is A Bloody Nightmare

I'm sorry if you can't relate to this chapter, but it's one that needs to be made. Periods are scary as hell if you've never had one, but fear not because your tampon-wielding fairy godmother is here.

Backstory: I started my period when I was eleven. That is not fun. That was a time in my life where I knew nothing about periods, and knew no one who was on their period. More backstory: I started my period at school, on a day where I had to do swimming. So right from the getgo my period has been very inconsiderate.

If you haven't started your period, it may seem like a really strange, maybe scary concept to you. I mean you're going to be bleeding for approximately five to seven days every month for decades. That's a pretty alien thought. But I promise you, periods are not difficult or confusing (most of the time).

A big thing you may have to consider before and after you start your period is what products to use. There are so many period products out there, and it's no longer just your regular tampons and pads. Mooncups or diva cups are becoming increasingly popular, but I don't think I would recommend using them on your first period.

Here's some things you need to know about sanitary products: you need to find the products to match your flow, you need to find the products you feel comfortable using, and you need to make sure you're always prepared. Personally I prefer wearing pads, but to some people tampons are easier and less hassle.

Each product comes with pros and cons which you may not be initially aware of. Do your research, try out different things (note: only use a tampon when you're on your period, I can't explain to you the uncomfortable pain of pulling out a dry tampon), and see what works best for you.

Periods are a little bit annoying, but we all have to deal with them. Yeah they can be a little gross, but also oddly satisfying.

Cramps may also be a part of your period, and they do suck badly but there are ways of combatting them. Simple breathing exercises can sometimes alleviate the pain- take deep breaths and try to relax your body, and hopefully the cramps will decrease in strength. Take a painkiller, but remember to be safe when self-medicating. Exercise is really good at getting rid of cramps, so do a few crunches if the cramps get really bad.

So rule thirty eight of surviving Teenagehood (for menstruating individuals): I know it feels like Satan is trying to kill you from the inside out, but you've got to remember that in five days you won't even remember the pain of a period. True story.