61/ I Can't Believe We're Related Sometimes

This chapter is about younger siblings. It's been requested a lot. Now some of you younger siblings will be sat there wondering what the hell you've done to deserve a whole chapter about you. Sit down. Look, I know you're not all the same, maybe you're a really nice younger sibling, but maybe you need to give your older sibling/s some more appreciation.

If you're an older sibling, it's around the teenage years that being the oldest tends to make things harder. It's always us that have to break through barriers set up by parents, go over hurdles just to be allowed to go to that one party, beg and plead to be allowed to go to a concert. Expectations are put on far too harshly by parents who have nothing else to monitor their expectations by, younger siblings can get on your nerves every darn time they open their mouths, and it just feels unfair.

Being the older sibling can sometimes just feel unfair.

My brother gets away with literally everything. He slams the doors all around the house and no one bats an eyelid, but when I leave one cup unwashed I get a berating.

But look, older siblings, I have some news for you. By being the oldest, you learn some valuable life skills.

Negotiating skills. We have to argue with parents about being allowed to do anything for the first time. But once you've made that groundwork by being reasonable (hopefully) in your arguments, you have got over that barrier.

Being a role model. Your younger siblings look to you as for what to expect from the future. By being the best you can, you're practically being idolised by your younger siblings even if they don't realise it.

Patience. Patience is a virtue. It may be hard to stand your younger siblings sometimes without snapping at them, but learning to block them out and calm your anger is such an important life skill. When you feel them really getting on your final nerve, take three deep breaths, try not to yell and leave the area (whether that be physically or mentally). Don't give them the satisfaction of knowing that they've wound you up.

When you really want to slap them, hit an object around you which can't be broken or hurt (a pillow works best). This usually lets them know that you mean business, and they'll tend to stop (or ridicule you depending on what kind of siblings you have).

Find common ground with them, and try to have a close bond if you don't already. You may think that they're completely different to you, but seeing as you share the same genes I'm sure you're more similar than you think.

So rule sixty one of Teenagehood: just think, they'll be living in your shadow for the rest of their lives.