55/ Take The Last Cookie

There are times in our lives where we need to be selfish in order to help protect our mental health, our work, our social life or just to cheer us up. And we've been conditioned to think that showing any signs of selfishness is always a completely negative thing and that mindset needs to change. Of course being selfish all the time is not right, but learning when to do things for yourselves rather than others is also vital for your happiness.

I'm the type of person who doesn't like to be selfish; I like to do things for other people and give up things so that other people can be happy. But recently I'm coming to realise (from the help of a few friends) that you need to be selfish in life to be happier. You need to put yourself first whether that comes to friendships, school, or any other situation where being unselfish will actually just result in you being miserable.

Self love and realising what you need as a person is not selfish. If that means you need to cancel plans because you literally can't face the thought of leaving the house, just make sure you do it in reasonable time. If you've liked a guy for longer than your friend, don't give him up. If your friend is asking you to do something when you really need to work, just say no.

Put yourself first sometimes. You're worth it.

So rule fifty five of surviving Teenagehood: I'm taking the last cookie Sarah because you know what, I'm tired.