Chapter 2 : Day with mom

Chapter 2

Jeff POV

I sat in the back of the car, feeling kind of excited. I mean, I love mom. And she's nice to me compared to dad.

We ended up at a coffee shop. She took me inside, and got me hot chocolate. We sat at a table near the back.

"So how's everything been lately, Jeffrey?" Mom asked.

"Fine... I mean... School's still hard. But nothing's changed really..."

"How is your father treating you?"

"Mom. I'm fine. Stop asking. He bought me a candy bar yesterday."

That seemed to calm her nerves a little.

I sipped my hot chocolate, waiting to see if she was going to interrogate me about dad some more, but she didn't. We just sat there in a comfortable silence, drinking our drinks. Mom had tea.

After we finished, mom took me somewhere else. And it was the book store.

"What are we doing here?" I asked.

"I know you love to read, so I figured I'd let you pick out a book. Hopefully it'll last you until I get back from Italy, and then I can buy you another."

"When are you getting back?"

"In a week."

"Promise you'll visit when you come back?"

"Of course, Jeffrey."

I seriously hate when my parents call me that. I feel like it makes me sound like a baby. I tell them to call me Jeff, but they don't listen to me. It's not worth it.

We went inside, and I went looking for a book. Books are nice because they help distract me from dad and whatever has happened that day.

I finally picked one out that was about a boy who runs away from home. I've considered doing that, but I've always been too nervous. I mean... I'm only 15, and I don't have any friends. I can't drive, and I have nowhere to go. I can't go to mom's house because she's always away somewhere for work.

Mom bought me the book, and then took me back to her house. She had a room designated for when she'd bring me here. It was sort of my bedroom, but I'd never slept over, so I don't know if it's really my "bedroom".

I took my book, and curled up in there. Me and mom didn't really have a lot to talk about. But she knows I just like to be at her house. So she just let me be, and I read for a little while.

Later...

Jeff POV

"Jeffrey! Time to head back to your dad's."

I sighed, and left my room. I got in the car, and mom drove me back. When we got there, she walked me to the front door.

"You promise you'll come visit when you get back?" I asked.

"Yes, Jeffrey."

I sighed. I hate goodbyes.

I wrapped my arms around mom tightly. I always feel like I want to cry, but I don't because then she'll definitely know that something's wrong between me and dad.

"I'll see you in about a week, Jeffrey."

"Bye, mom."

I kissed her, and then went inside. I quietly slipped upstairs before dad noticed I was back. I don't want to do chores. I just want to lay in bed because that's something he never lets me do.

I crawled under the covers, and continued reading my new book.

"There you are."

I jumped, and dropped my book, losing my page.

I saw dad in the doorway.

"You snuck in without me hearing."

I nodded, nervously.

"Kitchen. Now."

I got up, and followed him down.

"Do the dishes, clean the counter tops, sweep the floor, and when you're done, you'll get your punishment."

I nodded, and started doing the dishes. I was supposed to tell dad when I got home, but I just wanted to lay in bed and read. And now I'm getting the consequences...

When I was finished with my chores, I told dad.

And he made me go stand in the corner. This is where I would stand when I got hit so I couldn't go anywhere. Dad hit me a few times, but then that was it, and he told me to go to bed. I'd be a little sore tomorrow, but I'm ok.

And it kind of sucks because I have school tomorrow. More importantly, I have gym class. Gym class is already miserable because everyone hates me. But I know I'll be sore from tonight. And if we play something where I get hit with balls or tackled or something, I'm not going to be feeling too great.

I curled up in bed, and shut off the light.

It was a really good day because mom took me out. But I'm not looking forward to this week at school, and being stuck with dad...