Chapter 17 : Court

Chapter 17

A few days later...

Emmy POV

Jeff has been so quiet for the past few days. I've tried to get answers out of him, but he won't tell me what's wrong.

He's currently writing in his diary, and he's been doing it so much lately.

"Jeff."

I sat down on the edge of his bed. He looked up at me, but didn't say anything.

"Can I see what you're writing?" I asked.

He didn't answer me. I slowly reached over, and took his diary from him. And he let me.

Dear Diary,

I have no idea if I'm making a statement in court. Half of me wants to, and half of me doesn't. 

I'm so stressed out, and I've barely slept even though Emmy's been letting me stay in her bed. I just pretend to sleep so she doesn't worry. I feel like such a nuisance, causing so many problems...

"Jeff, you're not a nuisance."

I put down his diary, and looked at him. There were tears silently going down his cheeks.

I sighed, and pulled him into a hug.

"Jeff... Why didn't you come to me?"

"I feel like I'm just wasting everyone's time!"

"You're not. I want you to come to me when there's something wrong. It causes me more stress when you don't tell me what's wrong."

"No matter what I do, I can't do anything right!"

"Jeff, stop. You're overreacting. I'm not mad. Nobody's mad."

I held him in my arms until he calmed down.

"Trust me. It's better for both of us if you talk to me. I'll help you."

"Well then help me."

"How? What do you want help with?"

"I don't know if I can make a statement in front of the court. Everybody seems to want me to. And I do too. But I also don't want to. I'm scared of what will happen if I do. And I'm scared of what will happen if I don't."

"Why are you scared to make a statement?"

"My dad will go to jail, and he'll hate me! And I won't have a home, and I won't see my mom anymore!"

"What are you scared of if you don't?"

"If I don't... Everyone will be mad at me that I didn't, and if I go back home... I'll be hurt again!"

"Jeff... I would suggest making a statement. I know there are pros and cons of both to you... But-"

"I know. I know I should. I just don't know if I have the courage. I'm a scared little baby, just like everyone at school said I was! They were right about me!"

"Jeff. They were not right. You need to stop believing everything that everyone says about you."

"But I am scared!"

I sighed.

"Jeff... I don't know what to tell you. This isn't really something I can help you with. This is between you, the court, and your dad. But I can tell you that whatever happens, I'll always support you and be here for you no matter what."

"But how am I supposed to know what to do!?"

"That's for you to figure out. I can suggest that you make a statement and tell the court the truth. But I can't make you. Now... It's late. Let's get some sleep, ok?"