Chapter 10 : Sick

Chapter 10 

A few days later...

Jeff POV

So my birthday was today. And we also get our projects back today. So I'm really hoping for a good grade for my birthday.

Unfortunately, I think I'm sick. My throat is bothering me a little. But it's my birthday. I want to go to school, get my project back, and see Emmy.

I got to school, and met Emmy at her locker. I haven't been going to my locker because of the notes that are taped to it. I don't want Emmy questioning it because I'm embarrassed about it. 

So I just carry around all my books, which are kind of heavy, but I'm dealing with it. It's fine.

Now I just have to wait and see if we got a good grade on our project.

Later...

Jeff POV

We got our projects back, and we got a 97! I was so happy!

We were at lunch right now. I still sit with Emmy and her friends. I still don't really talk to her friends. I just talk to Emmy.

"So Jeff, are you doing anything for your birthday? You're 16, right? That's a pretty special birthday," Emmy said, starting to eat her lunch.

"Um... No, I don't think so..."

"Well then you should ask your dad if you can come over my house after school. We'll do something fun!"

"Ok," I said, smiling.

I mean, I don't think I'm doing anything today. Dad never does much for my birthday, and mom's always away for work.

Later...

Jeff POV

I got home, and dad was home from work. I was excited to show him my grade on the project. 

"Dad, I got my project back today," I said, setting my backpack down.

He didn't say anything. I got my project out, and gave it to him. 

"Good, Jeffrey."

"So... It's my birthday... And I did good on my test... Can I possibly have a cell phone, please?"

"Since it's your 16th birthday, I got you one on the way home from work today."

Dad handed it to me.

"Thank you so much!"

"You're welcome."

"I was also wondering if I could possibly go to Emmy's house tonight. And if you could give me a ride there."

"If you go do the dishes, I'll give you a ride."

"Ok, dad."

I went to the kitchen, and quickly did the dishes. And then I got in dad's car, and he drove me to Emmy's. 

I knocked on the door, and Emmy answered it.

"Hey, Jeff!"

Emmy took my hand, and pulled me inside. 

"So I thought maybe we could do something fun for your birthday. We can go out for ice cream. And I got you a present too."

"You got me a present?"

"Yeah! It's in my room. Come on."

She held my hand as she led me down the hall. 

"Here. I made this for you."

She handed me a small box. I opened it, and there was a bracelet inside. I realized it matched Emmy's. She has a few bracelets that she usually wears. They're made out of colorful string. And the one she made for me was blue, green, and black.

"Thank you so much. It's so cool."

I put it on. I've never gotten a present from anyone besides my parents. I was super excited about my bracelet.

"I'm glad you like it. We can be twins," she said, holding her wrist next to mine.

I smiled.

"Let's go get some ice cream," she said, taking my hand.

"Ok."

We walked to the ice cream place we were at a few days ago. Emmy got me cookie dough ice cream like last time. My throat was starting to really hurt, but the ice cream felt good on my throat. 

"Jeff, are you alright? You're really quiet."

"Yeah, I'm ok. My throat just hurts. I think I'm getting sick."

"Aw, but it's your birthday."

"I know... It's ok though. I've had a really good birthday. My dad got me a cell phone, so I can actually text you now!"

"Oh, that's awesome, Jeff!"

Emmy put her number into my phone, and I put mine into hers. 

I've been coughing a little bit all day, but I got into a really bad coughing fit, and it felt like I could barely breathe. 

Emmy put her hand lightly on my back.

"Jeff, are you ok?"

"I just don't feel well," I said, my voice sounding scratchy.

I finished my ice cream, but I was really starting to feel miserable. I'm sick.

"You look really pale, Jeff."

"I'm ok."

"Let's go back to my house. You can just relax."

We walked back to Emmy's. She let me lay down on the bed I slept on a few weeks ago. 

"Jeff, do you want my dad to drive you home?"

"No."

"But I thought you didn't feel good."

"I don't... But I don't want to go home..."

If I go home, dad will make me do chores. I just want to lay down.

"Jeff... Are you ok?"

"Please can I just lay here for a little while?"

"Um... Ok... Do you need anything?"

"No... I just want to lay here."

"Ok..."

I shut my eyes. I'm really tired and I really don't feel well.