Chapter 7 : Movie night with Emmy

Chapter 7

The next day...

Jeff POV

Emmy was at school, so I was all alone. I didn't mind. I wrote in my diary a little, and ate breakfast with Paul and Kristy. They were being nice to me so far. 

But right now I was back in Emmy's bedroom, getting changed.

"Jeff!"

I jumped, startled.

"W-what?"

"I need to take you to the police station for questioning, so be ready to leave in 5 minutes!" Paul called from the kitchen.

I quickly finished getting dressed. I used the bathroom. And then I went to the kitchen.

"Ready?" Paul asked.

"Yeah."

I followed him outside, and got in the car. I was beginning to get extremely nervous. I don't want to be questioned.

I got to the police station. Paul took me inside.

"I have Jeff Sterling. He's here for questioning."

"Ok, have a seat. We'll bring him in when we're ready for him," the lady at the front desk said.

I sat down, and I started trembling a little. I'm so anxious.

Paul put his hand on my back, which made me jump.

"Jeff."

"What?" I whispered.

"Are you alright?"

"I'm just nervous..."

"Don't be nervous. Just answer the questions honestly, and you'll be fine, ok?"

I nodded. But I'm not doing that.

"Jeff Sterling?"

"That's you," Paul said, patting my back lightly to make me stand up.

I followed the police officer into a dimly lit room with another police officer. He didn't really look so friendly.

"Hi Jeff. I'm just going to ask you a few questions, ok? I need you to answer honestly."

Later...

Emmy POV

I was kind of surprised to see Jeff here when I got home. I knew he was going to get questioned, so I thought he would be home by now, not here.

"Jeff?"

He looked up at me. He'd been busy writing in his diary all day.

"How was questioning?"

"It was fine..."

"Any news on your dad?"

"They're still investigating, but if they can't find anything by tomorrow, they can't detain him any longer, and they'll let him go."

"Oh, ok... Did you want to do anything tonight?"

"Like what?"

"I don't know. We could watch a movie, play a game, go for a walk..."

"That all sounds fun!"

"Alright. Maybe you want to go for a walk first while it's still light out?"

"Yeah."

Jeff and I put on our shoes, and then left.

"Does your face feel ok today?" I asked.

"Oh um... Yeah. It feels better than it did yesterday..."

Jeff walked beside me, and he seemed quite comfortable. He seemed jumpier yesterday, but now he seems alright.

"So... I was thinking maybe we could stop and get some ice cream. How does that sound?" I asked.

"But I don't have any money."

"It's ok. I can pay for it."

There was an ice cream shop near the edge of town. We walked there, and went inside.

"Pick anything you want, Jeff."

We stood there for a few minutes, looking at the menu. And then we ordered. I got chocolate. Jeff got cookie dough.

And then we went outside to eat.

"Thanks for buying me ice cream," Jeff said.

"No problem. Do you like it?"

"Yeah, it's good. What about yours?"

"Really good."

We sat in silence while we ate. But it was a comfortable silence. 

We threw away our bowls when we were done, and then I took Jeff to the park. The sun was starting to set now.

I took Jeff over to the swings. 

"Are you happy to be going back home?" I asked.

"Yeah. I like it there."

I was so sure he was abused. But he keeps saying he wants to go back. I don't understand...

We were both swinging on the swings for a little while. The sun went down, and Jeff seemed to be getting anxious.

"Do you think maybe we could go back?" Jeff asked, quietly.

"Yeah. Is everything ok?"

"I don't like being outside at night. I just get nervous."

"Ok. We can go."

We got off the swings. Jeff walked really close to me as we walked back to my house. I could tell he was nervous. I just didn't really know why. Is he afraid of the dark, or is it something else?

We got back to my house. 

"Jeff, do you want to watch a movie?"

"Yeah."

"Ok. I can make some popcorn if you want."

"Ok."

Jeff POV

Emmy went to the kitchen to make popcorn. I grabbed my pjs, and went to the bathroom to go change. 

I met Emmy back in her room. 

She sat on the floor, leaning against my bed, and pulled out her laptop. I sat down next to her on the floor. She handed me the bowl of popcorn.

After she got the movie set up, she left and changed into her pjs too. When she came back, she shut off the lights. She took a blanket, and spread it over both of us.

She sat down again, and started the movie. 

Later...

Jeff POV

I could barely stay awake. Being stressed out about dad took away all my energy. I was super sleepy.

The movie was finally over. I was pretty much too tired to move.

Emmy shut her laptop.

"You alright, Jeff?"

I nodded. But I can barely keep my eyes open.

"I'll help you up."

Emmy held her hand out to me. I took it, and she helped me stand. She lifted the covers on my bed for me, and I got in. I laid down, and Emmy pulled the covers over me.

Emmy got into her own bed. Within minutes, I was asleep.