Chapter 3 : Nurse

Chapter 3  

The next day...

Jeff POV

Literally it was one of my worst nightmares. We were playing dodge ball today.

There's this mean group of boys who always gang up on me. And that was the case today...

I was trying to duck each time they threw a ball at me. They would always try to throw them as hard as possible, and if I got hit, it hurt.

I wasn't really paying attention, and I tripped over my own feet. I caught myself, but I wasn't paying attention to everyone anymore. And before I knew it, I was getting pelted with balls. I tried to run, but I tripped over one of the balls, and fell. I hit my head really hard, and I immediately felt dizzy and sick.

It felt like the room was spinning. I couldn't see clearly, and my head hurt so bad.

The gym teacher came over to me.

"Are you ok, Jeffrey?"

"No."

My teacher called the nurse, and they brought a wheelchair down. The nurse helped me up, and into the wheelchair.

They brought me to the nurse's office, and I was honestly on the verge of tears. It just hurt so bad, and my head felt so funny.

The nurse helped me lay down on one of the beds. She gave me an ice pack, and then started looking at my eyes, and trying to make sure nothing was seriously wrong.

"Jeffrey, I know it hurts, but I don't think anything's wrong. You just hit it really hard. Do you feel dizzy at all?"

"Yeah..."

"Alright. I think maybe you should go home and rest. I'm going to call your parents, ok?"

"No! Um... I can go back to class. I just need a minute," I said, trying to stand up.

"Jeffrey, I really think it would be better if you went home and rested for the rest of the day."

She left to go call dad. I was really nervous now. Dad isn't going to want to pick me up. He's going to punish me because it's my own fault I'm at the nurse.

"Jeffrey, your father is on his way here to get you," the nurse said.

"Ok..."

I was really scared now. He's not going to be happy with me...

A little while later, dad showed up. He did not look happy with me.

"Let's go," he grumbled.

I got up, and followed him out to the car.

"Why did you go to the nurse? I always tell you to deal with whatever's wrong. No going to the nurse. That's the rule. I have things to do during the day. And I don't have time to be picking you up from school."

"I-I'm sorry... I f-fell in g-gym..."

"You fell?"

"Y-yeah... W-we were p-playing d-dodge ball..."

We got home.

"Inside. Living room. Now."

I quickly went inside to the corner of the living room. I got hit a few times, but that was it. Dad yelled at me, and made me go do chores. I had to rake the backyard because there were a lot of leaves on the ground. It's fall, after all.

My head hurt, but I just ignored it. I wasn't so dizzy anymore, and raking was taking my mind off of it.

Later...

Jeff POV

I was legitimately scared right now. I don't know what's going on. Dad probably talked to someone on the phone. I didn't know if it was mom, or someone he works with. But whatever happened, put him in a bad mood.

After I raked the leaves, I came inside, and I saw dad in the kitchen. He was drinking, and by the way he was acting, I knew he was mad about something. And when he's mad, he gets drunk so he doesn't have to deal with whatever it is.

But when he's drunk, that's when he likes to come after me...

So I was hiding in my room right now.

Dear Diary,

Dad is really scary today. I came home early because I fell in gym class. Now dad's super mad about something, and I just know he's going to get drunk. I think he's watching tv right now downstairs.

I'm really hungry, and I want dinner. But I'm scared if I go down there, he'll see me. And then he'll hurt me again.

I'm actually feeling pretty ok today. I'm not too sore.

My head hurts a little, but not too bad.

My stomach just growled. I think I'm going to try to sneak downstairs and grab something.

I shut my diary, and crept down the stairs as quietly as I could. I crawled on my hands and knees to the kitchen so dad wouldn't see me behind the counter.

Ok, I just need to get the bread, peanut butter, jelly, a bottle of water, and a knife to spread everything on my sandwich...

I quietly got out everything from the cabinet. I slowly opened the silverware drawer, and got a butter knife. But it slipped out of my hand, and fell on the floor, making a loud noise.

"JEFFREY!"

I tried to run, but it was too late.