Chapter 13 : Reading Jeff's diary

Chapter 13

The next day... 

Emmy POV

I was feeling a lot worse today. And when I woke up, Jeff was gone.

I was immediately worried.

I left my bedroom, and went to the kitchen. Mom was in there, cooking something.

I tried to speak, but my voice was gone, just like Jeff.

So I whispered instead.

"Mom, where's Jeff?"

"He's at the police station."

"What? Why?"

"Your father took him there. The police wanted to question him."

"Do you know what exactly happened to him?"

"No... The police said his dad had hit him. But they didn't really have any other details on specifics."

"Oh..."

"He'll be back soon. Maybe 30 minutes or so. How are you feeling?"

"Worse than yesterday."

"I'm going to get you some medicine, and then I want you back to bed, ok?"

I nodded.

Mom gave me some medicine, and then I went back to my room. I was so curious about Jeff though.

I lifted his pillow, and saw his diary. 

I picked it up, and flipped through to the last page he had written on.

Dear Diary,

This is literally the worse case scenario. Mom found out about dad, and she called the police. I'm in foster care, and I'm so worried.

Mom had to go fly back to wherever she was, somewhere halfway across the world. She's always away for work, and if dad loses his rights to me, there's no way they'll let mom have me because she travels way too much.

I'll be homeless!

And what if I get adopted by someone who hits me even worse!? 

I can't even think straight anymore. I'm too anxious about all of this. 

I just feel like everything is hopeless. And I'm so scared.

I can't tell the truth about dad. I need him to go back home, and take me with him.

Also, on top of this whole mess, I'm so sick. And my throat is so sore. 

I seriously can't imagine anything else going wrong. I might just break.

I heard the front door open, so I slammed Jeff's diary shut, put it under his pillow, and quickly got into my bed.

I laid down, trying to look like I've been here for a while.

Jeff walked in, looking miserable as ever. He walked straight over to me, lifted the covers, and got in. He curled up, and hid his face in my shoulder.

The medicine was making me really tired now. I put my arm around him, and fell asleep.

Later...

Jeff POV

I felt so bad. Emmy keeps coughing, and I'm the one who got her sick. I feel so bad. And I feel even worse about it because I'm starting to feel better.

We were still in Emmy's bed together. She had a random movie playing on her laptop, but I don't think either of us were really watching it.

Emmy was trying to sleep. She was holding my hand, and she would squeeze it tight every time she would cough. I feel like her cough is worse than mine. It seems like it makes it hard for Emmy to breathe.