Chapter 14 : A good end to a bad day

Chapter 14

A few days later...

Jeff POV

Since my dad's court date was in a few weeks, Emmy's parents decided it would be best that I went back to school for right now. Emmy and I missed most of last week because we were sick. So we're probably going to have a ton of make up work.

My back was still sore from getting hit. And I hadn't been using my locker so Emmy wouldn't see all the mean notes taped to it. But carrying all these books was hurting my back so much!

"Jeff?"

I looked up at Emmy. She was swapping books in her locker.

"What?"

She lifted my backpack a little.

"Jeff, this thing weighs a million pounds!"

"I know..."

"How about we go to your locker before first period, ok?"

"No, it's ok. We don't need to."

"Jeff... I can see from your face that you're in pain."

She shut her locker, and then gave me a look.

"Where's your locker?"

I sighed.

"It's the one with all the notes taped to it..."

We walked over to it. I felt tears stinging my eyes from the embarrassment.

Emmy took off the notes, and started looking at them.

"Who did this?" She asked.

"I don't know... The whole school pretty much hates me, so..."

"Jeff, we can tell someone so this doesn't happen again."

"No, it's ok. I can deal with it."

I quickly shoved most of my books in my locker, and then walked to my first class.

Later...

Emmy POV

I don't know exactly if Jeff is stressing because of his dad, or the bullies, or a combination. But he's all stressed out. 

"Jeff."

He didn't look at me. We were in lunch right now. And he was staring at the floor.

"Jeff."

I nudged him with my elbow.

"What?" He asked quietly.

"Let's talk about the notes, ok?"

"No. I don't want to."

"Jeff, we can tell on them, and get them in trouble."

"I told you I was fine! I can deal with it!"

"Jeff... This is your problem... You keep saying you can deal with things, like your dad hitting you. But here's the reality. You don't have to!"

"But if I tell, I'll feel like a tattletale."

"Jeff... There's a difference between being a tattletale and stopping something that shouldn't be happening."

He sighed, and stayed silent.

"It's going to be ok, Jeff."

"I'm just so stressed out! There's so many things going on, it's hard to think straight! And now I have all this extra work because I was absent!"