Chapter 31: The Truth

"We rose up for our freedom, and to save Jellal." Erza continues, her back to the others as they continue to listen her. 

The rebellion had begun, and the prisoners were beating back the guards, everything was going well, until the Magic Troop came. Simon lost his lower jaw when they first arrived hence why he wears the metal jaw, and they began killing many of the prisoners as everyone else began to retreat since they were no match for them. Erza tried to rally everyone back but they didn't listen, one of the prisoners even knocking her down while he was running. As she was about to be killed by them, Grandpa Rob, on old-man prisoner who was close friends with Erza and the others, appeared and blocked the magic as it turned out to be a mage from Fairy Tail as he then uses his magic to destroy the magic troops. However, by doing this he had apparently used up the last of his magic which was also his life force. Before he died, He reminded Erza about the time he told her about magic and he turned to dust and disintegrated. The guards and more magic troops were on their way, her friends tried to tell her to run away, but it was in that moment, so much anger and sadness coursing through her at the dead of Grandpa Rob that she awakened her magic, allowing her to telepathically pick up all the weapons and tools scattered around her hand launch them at the guards and the magic troops. Effectively putting an end to them and giving the slaves hope that they could now win and earn their freedom.

Erza and the others fought and eventually forced the guards to retreat, Erza headed off to go save Jellal while everyone else took the boats and prepared to finally leave. When she got to the room he was being held in, she knocked aside the two head guards and cut him loose. However, when he had started to speak, she noticed that he sounded different. Such as the fact that he was now saying they no longer needed to leave the island, that there was no freedom in the world, saying they needed true freedom, Zeref's world. He had somehow gained magic himself and used it to kill the guards, Jellal then tried telling Erza that they needed to complete the R-system to resurrect Zeref, she refused and he blasted her away. He then told her that she would be allowed to leave, but everyone else would have to stay so that the 'Tower of Heaven' as he now called it, could be completed, and warned her that if she ever came back to the island or tried to warn the government about the place, that he would kill everyone, including their friends. The next thing Erza knew, was waking up on a shore in Fiore in the middle of the night and crying for what had happened.

Hearing this shocked and saddened the others, that she had to endure such a terrible past before she joined Fairy Tail, and not to mention what had happened to Jellal and her friends.

"I... will fight Jellal." Erza says, crying as tears dripped down from her left cheek.

"Wait a second, Erza. That Zeref that was in your story..." Gray trails off.

"Yes, you should know Zeref too." Erza says wiping away the tears.

"I'm pretty sure they called that monster that came out of the Lullaby one of Zeref's demons." Lucy says thinking back to the Lullaby monster.

"That's not all. I suspect that Deliora was also one of Zeref's demons." Erza says shocking Gray.

"And Jellal is trying to resurrect this Zeref person?" Juvia asks.

"But why?" Sakura asks.

"I don't understand his motive. Sho... one of my friends in the past... He said something about when the resurrection was complete, they'd become rulers over heaven." Erza says turning her head towards them.

"But what I don't understand is why your past allies turned against you. Wasn't the traitor Jellal and not you, Erza?" Lucy asks.

"He must have indoctrinated them some after I disappeared." Erza says and looks down. "But I left them here for 8 years. The fact is, I did betray them."