Chapter 35: The Finalized R-system

Dark clouds begin to form above the Tower of Heaven, the sound of thunder booms in the air as the final battle at the tower is about to end.

"What is your real goal?" Erza questions Jellal as she sits on him, pinning him to the ground with the tip of her sword pointing at his throat. "You haven't really completed the R-system, have you? I haven't been doing nothing for these past 8 years. I researched the R-system myself. It's true there were no errors in the construction or theory of the blueprints back then. But there is something essential missing from the R-system."

"I told you, remember? You are the sacrifice." Jellal says.

"A problem more basic than that." The scarlet knight says making Jellal looks at her questioningly. "The thing you lack is, magical power!" She states. "To activate a magical spell of this magnitude, you need a tremendous amount of magical energy. Even if you assemble every wizard on this continent, I'm not sure it would be enough. So of course there is no way an individual could store enough energy in this tower. And moreover, you know about the Council's attack but are not trying to escape. What are you thinking?"

"Three minutes until Etherion." Jellal says in a calm demeanor.

"Jellal!" Erza shouts with an angered look in her eyes. "You're dream is already over! Do you simply wish to die like this?" She questions as she tightens her grip on his right wrist, making him cringe a bit from the pain. "If that's the case, then we go together. I will not release this hand until the final moment!"

"Sure... That doesn't sound too bad." The teen says making Erza's eyes widen in shock. "My body was possessed by Zeref's spirit. No words will reach me. I'm nothing but a puppet used for the purpose of resurrecting Zeref."

"Possessed?" The red-haired girl asks.

"I wasn't able to save myself. Not my friends nor anyone else could save me. This is no Heaven... There is no freedom anywhere. Everything was over before it even began."

Outside the tower
At the ocean

Some distance away from the tower is the rowboat carrying the rest of the Fairy Tail wizards sans Natsu and Sakura, as well as Erza's friends sans Simon, both of who still on the tower as the group look at it for signs of what is going on.

"What in the world's going on in there?" Gray questions.

Just then the escape group looks up at the clouds which they just begin to part directly above the tower and light begins shining through, brightening up the night sky a little bit.

"That light!" Lucy gasps in shock.

"It's Etherion!" Wally exclaims.

"Eh!" Millianna cries out in fright.

"Natsu, Sakura, Latias, Erza... Hurry up and escape..." Happy says with tears in his eyes.

Inside the tower

The entire building begins to violently shake and cracks slowly form on the ceiling and walls, making small chunks of debris fall from them.

"I knew that the R-system wouldn't be able to complete. But the spirit of Zeref wouldn't let me go. It's too late to stop it. I'm a broken engine that he's driving..." Jellal says with a saddened, but happy look on his face. "Erza, you win. Please put an end to this." He asks, taking her back as her eyes widen. "That's why you came here, yes?"

Erza continues to stare down at him, her eyes shake in shock. Just looking at him makes her remember the little boy who saved her and became her friend so many years ago. The scarlet knight lowers her sword to her side as Jellal seems to be confused by this.