focus | peter parker

Title: Focus

Pairing: Peter Parker x Reader

Summary: loosely based on Focus by H.E.R; in which peter gets so distracted by the stark internship that he almost forgets about his girl

Warnings: explosions, spoilers for Homecoming if you still haven't seen it, arguing (?)

Word Count: 1196

___

"I have to go I've got the--"

"Stark internship." You mumble to yourself, as your boyfriend collects his things at the sound of the last bell. All you wanted was to spend time with him. Between the fact that you no longer shared classes together and Peter's surprise internship, it was practically impossible.

Anytime you two spent together was ended at the end of the school day -- promptly 3:25 everyday. You both had a free period last period that you liked to use to study. However less than twenty minutes ago, your boyfriend had been nowhere to be found. Even Ned didn't know of his whereabouts and if he did, he didn't tell you.

Then Peter suddenly popped up in front of you as he had never disappeared, talking excitedly about his latest adventures with the internship -- how he got to meet War Machine, Vision, and even Spider-Man the day before. Just as quickly as he had come however, he was leaving.

"I'll see you later for our date, okay?" He flashes a dopey smile as he slings his bag over his shoulder and plants a kiss on your cheek. You nod as he hurriedly leaves, you sit at the library table left alone with your biology textbook.

You sigh in defeat, resting your chin on your hand. You had barely spoken two words the entire time due to his  excitement.  You figured it'd be okay though.

Even if you didn't get to study together, you'd still see him tonight at least. The thought made your heart swell with joy, it had been awhile since you two had gone on a date. A few months ago, Pete had started acting weird and secretive -- not to mention he was completely destroyed after Uncle Ben's death.

It had taken him awhile to return to the normal swing of things, but when he did you were grateful. Especially when he asked you on a date tonight and while as excited as you were, part of you worried for him. Tony Stark seemed to be wearing him thin, so much so his grades began slipping.

Taking Peter's cue, you figure its time to leave anyway and start packing your things. You slide on your jacket and wave goodbye to the librarian before hurrying to catch the train home to get ready.

___

Tears welled in your eyes as you walked down the chilly Queens streets. It had been over two hours since Peter had promised to meet you. The waiter had passed your table three times, offering water or wondering if you wanted to order. Each time you had shaken your head no, hoping he'd show any minute.

After the fourth time, you'd given in and order yourself some chocolate cake to take home. What you needed now was a hot shower, the cake and some Charmed reruns.

You wiped a few tears from your eyes, wishing he'd stop whatever the hell he was doing long enough to call. Two hours! You waited two whole hours! And he didn't even have the nerve to text or call.

Down the block was Delmar's where you were sure he was prepping to close up for the night. You figured you'd stop in and say goodnight -- that was until a piercing blue beam from the bank across the street completely destroyed the small sandwich shop.

"Help!" The distressing scream left your mouth at the sight as more tears welled in your eyes. Your takeout bag fell to the ground forgotten as you ran towards the shop, hoping to find Mr. Delmar and Murphy still alive. It seemed however that Spider Man had beaten you to it and within seconds they were all outside.

"Are you alright?" he asked Mr. Delmar who was coughing heavily as his lungs adjusted to the fresh air. Familiarity hit you, you knew that voice and it seemed he had finally noticed your presence when you realized who it belonged to.

You scowled as more tears fell, he handed Murphy to Mr. Delmar, "H-here." You hurried past them and towards home. You could hear the sounds of him running behind you,  "Y/N! Wait!"

He caught up with you and pulled the two of you in a nearby alleyway. He snatched off the mask, his brown curls matted down from the suit and confirming your suspicions. He went to hold you, but you wouldn't let him, "Don't touch me!"  You spat.

His shoulders slumped at the hurt on your face, "How could you leave me sitting there looking ridiculous for almost two hours? And not even text? Call?"

Peter frowned as more tears freed themselves from your E/C eyes, "And how?" you started hitting him on the arm, you weren't weak but he didn't seem even the slightest bit fazed. "Could?" Another frustrated hit, you were now a mess of emotions, "You? Be? So? Stupid?!"

The yelling and the hitting didn't bother him, but seeing you so hurt did.

"What the hell, Peter?" You yelled, "Is this what you do all night? Run around, serving justice to criminals with no regard to your own safety?" You sniffled. "And you didn't ever think to tell me?" Your emotions overcame you as your shoulders began to shake uncontrollably.

Peter gasped, his own brown eyes that were beginning to water widened in realization. In his eagerness to prove himself to Stark, he had been abandoning his girl. He had been distant for months, never really spending time with you, he stopped taking you out on dates and when finally he did, he stood you up.

"Y/N, I'm so sorry! I've been treating you like crap these last few months. I don't know why you haven't -- Why did you stick around?" He asked, why did you stick around?  You shook your head in disbelief, "Don't you get it, Peter? You'd think after almost a year of dating you'd realize--" you shout, sniffling once more.

"I love you." You sigh, wiping away tears. His face softened at your words, the two of you had been dating for almost ten months, but had yet to say it. "And honestly this shit scares me!" you continue, gesturing to his suit. But he's still stuck on those three words, "Y-You love me?"

You chuckle dryly, "Of course I do, Peter. I care about you a lot and I don't wanna see you hurt." His heart hurts when he hears you say that and slowly leans in for a hug which you allow, "I'm so sorry that I've been treating you this way." He's crying too now and you know that he's sincere.

"I've been such a douche lately and I hope you can forgive me. I don't know what I'd do without you, I've hurt you so badly," he mumbles sadly. "I love you so much, Y/N."

"I love you too, Peter." You reassure him, looking down you noticed a burn on his hip, "You're bleeding!" You pull away from the hug to examine his wound, "Its nothing, I'm fine." He grunts as you touch it lightly, "Nice try. Let's get home and get you cleaned up, Spidey." You laugh, kissing his cheek.