only you | steve rogers

Title: only you

Pairing: Steve Rogers x Reader

Summary: Y/N dealing with their breakup while juggling the breaking up of her family, during Civil War; based on Only You by Cheat Codes & Little Mix

Warnings: reader has two panic attacks (simultaneously, flashback vs real time), mentions of torture/pain: drowned, burned, shocked, etc. Angsty, i guess...? Part two maybe...?

A/N: Requests are open! I feel like this is a bit all over the place but I'll edit it later if I still feel so tomorrow; I got carried away bc I was inspired by the music video

Word Count: 1817

___

You had broken up only days before the mention of the Sokovia Accords, it was over something small -- so insignificant that you were sure, years from now you would no longer remember. When it came time to decide, you sided with Tony. He was right for once; in the midst of saving people, you had hurt so many others and it was time to be regulated.

You're not sure, but you thought Steve took it personal -- he looked so hurt when you declared that you were signing. He didn't agree -- he felt the government would abuse their power, maybe even hold you guys back. It wasn't long before things got out of hand and then suddenly, there you guys all were, fighting in an airport in Berlin. You were supposed to take your now ex-boyfriend into custody and the thought of it broke your heart, he was officially a war criminal. 

You never wanted to break up, you both had said things out of anger, cursed, and thrown things. Then in the heat of the moment, he suggested it. As soon as he said it, your heart broke and you wanted to cry; but if it was what he wanted -- all you wanted was to make him happy, so you agreed.

Once upon a time we had it all

"I love you." his blue eyes sparkled as soon as the words slipped from your mouth, "Really?" You nodded cautiously before popping a strawberry in your mouth, "I-I do." Steve grinned, before wrapping his arms around you as you snuggled into him. "I love you too."  You let out a sigh of relief when he said it back, "I'm glad you feel the same, I was scared I said it to early." Steve chuckled, "It was a little too early," you bit your lip bashfully, "because you beat me to it."

You looked at your family, they were now completely torn apart. It hurt that the only real family you had ever had were now fighting each other, only to result in some of them being imprisoned. Both sides had pulled out all the stops in an effort to fight for their beliefs, Tony had taken to employing a 15 year old to fight with you guys; while Wanda was still a kid herself being only 19. 

You never wanted to see a day like this, the Avengers had been your home, your safe haven, especially Steve. You had found comfort in New York with them -- with him. Now it was all being torn apart in front of your eyes, the thought of fighting the people you loved set you on edge.

Steve and Bucky were running towards the quinjet as Wanda kept the observation tower Vision had destroyed from falling on them, you met them on the other side, stopping them in their tracks. 

Somewhere down the line we went and lost it

"So were they really her friend in the beginning or were they just using her?" Steve asked. The two of you had been sitting on the couch in the lounge as the credits rolled for The Craft. "I think it's a mix of both. I mean, they probably wouldn't have spoken to her if they didn't need a fourth and eventually Nancy got jealous of how much power Sarah had." you shrugged, turning to look at him with sleep in your eyes. 

He was already staring at you with that look he made before he got sappy. "I'm tired." you mumbled, "Then let's go to bed." He chuckled, kissing your nose softly as you yawned. The two of you held hands as you walked sleepily to your room.