Chapter 12- "You remind me of a chipmunk with rabies"

*Please vote! <3*

The last two months flew past me. I had gotten really good at my job, got to know more people, and was slowly letting go of the past. 

I had even managed to save up enough money to buy myself a new dress for Christmas which I was trying on at the moment. It wasn't anything too special, but it felt great that I had something brand new that I'd worked hard for.

Standing in front of the mirror, I tried not to smile at the dark teal dress that ended near my knees, with its sleeves ending elegantly at my elbows. For the first time in a while, I actually felt good about myself. It was a nice feeling.

I was about to adjust the neck a bit when someone knocked on the door. Crap, no one can see me in this yet! I thought, panicking slightly. 

"Dest, open up!"

Oh, it was just Alex. Thank God.

I scurried to the door and opened it, watching him stroll in a few seconds later. He placed some papers inside of his white desk and then flopped down on the bed, sinking into the cushions. He sat up with his light brown locks of hair tousled and his eyebrows raised.

"Why're you dressed up, nerd?" He asked. I placed a hand on my hip and gave him a look.

"Why, is it a crime to look this good?" I shot back. I heard him chuckle softly as I grabbed a random t-shirt and a pair of tights from my closet, quickly changing the bathroom. 

With the dress in my hand, I walked out of the bathroom to see Alex rummaging around through the closet.

"What're you looking for?" I asked, leaning against the wall, watching him tear apart my closet which I'd finally got around to cleaning yesterday.

He grinned like a cat, pulling a pair of worn out skates that made his green eyes light up.

"I promised Lucy I'd take her out skating today. We always used to go as kids too," he explained, smiling at the skates like they were old friends. I smiled to myself. I didn't know much about Alex's childhood, except for the fact that most of it was spent with Lucy. I never really bothered to ask more though because if I got to ask him about his childhood, then he'd obviously want to know more about mine-- which was something I wasn't ready to talk about yet. 

He began wiping off the skates with a damp paper towel from the bathroom as I folded my dress. It took all of my strength to not ask him if I could tag along too. 

Truthfully, I'd always wanted to learn how to skate, and I knew that Alex would never say no if I asked him. Yet that meant that I'd just ruin his time with Lucy; They were already on rocky waters, and they needed some time together. Being a constant third wheel sucked, but I felt like that one five year old everyone had to take care of. It would only be a matter of time before they got sick of me as well.

So when Alex did  come around to asking me if I wanted to come with, I pretended to be really concentrated on fixing the bed sheets. I lied straight through my teeth, claiming that I didn't like skating.

Although Alex was one of my really good friends by now, I really didn't have the heart to tell him about me being the third wheel. In fact, that would just make everything more awkward, and I had enough awkward inside of me to last a lifetime. 

When he left, I looked out the window, watching Lucy and Alex walk outside with their skates dangling in their hands. I wished so bad that I was beside them, happily laughing.

A sickening pain shot through my chest and I gripped onto the windowsill for support. Loneliness was painful, but my mate pull made that feeling physical. I staggered over to the bed and crawled into it. I wouldn't let the wave of sadness wash over me