chapter 17

This chapter isn't the best. I just really wanted to update. Sorry that it took so long. The next chapter should be on it's way soon.

Thank you to my idiot for helping. :)

Fanfiction97 x

Harry's pov:

The Gryffindor common room is filled with lively chatter. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve, who wouldn't be excited. Hermione and Ron at our usual places by the fire. I still don't understand how Hogwarts has managed to fit another year group. Sometimes, at Hogwarts, it's best not to ask question.

I join my two best friends by the fire. They talk to me happily about their plans for Christmas, including me this time. Obviously the assume that Draco and I aren't doing anything, which is true to a certain extent, but they are completely unaware of the heartache I'm feeling.

"Harry, what has happened with you and Malfoy?" Hermione asks. Annoyingly she refers to him as Malfoy.

"Err... He broke up with me... I guess." Only then, when the words have left my mouth, do I understand what has happened.

"That scum. Why on earth did he break up with you?" Ron asks fuming. The back of his ears have gone bright red.

"Draco told me to pick you." I say it so quietly that I have to repeat it. "Merlin, I need a walk."

Silence feels the corridors. Students are supposed to be in bed. Technically I'm not a student. Heading towards the owlrey I avoid bumping into anyone.

I call over a small barn owl that belongs to the school. It's odd without Hedwig; she was my first glimpse into the wizarding world. On a note I scrawl quickly:

Draco,

Meet me at 12pm at the room of requirements Christmas day.

Bring some drinks, I will bring the food.

With love,

Harry.

Through a small window I watch the bird leave the tower. The cool breeze stings my face but I dare not move. Surprisingly, I haven't cried since I walked away from Draco, but I know that if I return to the common room I won't be able to hold up a brave face.

Snow falls gently, covering the castle in a blanket of white. I feel peaceful, even though my world has been turned upside down. Thinking about it, it was Draco who turned my world upside down and now it's the right way up. I don't like it.

Too trapped in thought I don't hear the careful tread of Luna Lovegood entering the owlery. Snowflakes settle in her hair, eyebrows and eyelashes. It causes her too look more like a fairy than a teenage girl.

"Harry, are you okay? There are a lot of nargles floating around." I try to stifle a laugh as the ravenclaw girl talks.

"Draco and I brok--" Pathetic. I can't even finish a sentence before the tears roll down my face. Luna grabs me into a tight hug. Blonde curls tickle my nose.

"It's cold Harry, let's go inside." She says while talking into my chest. I nod meekly.

Our footprints are covered up quickly by the fast falling snow. The girl takes me to the fat lady. Muttering the password I slide into the common room.

---

On the wall above Neville's head rays of sunlight dance. The room is filled with Ron's heavy snoring. Seamus and Dean have both gone down to breakfast. Due to the dementor attacks everyone has had to stay at Hogwarts over Christmas. I chuck my pillow at Ron who wakes with a jump.

"Geoffme." The ginger shouts. Flapping his arms around carelessly. It takes him a while to realise what has happened. "Somebody is in a better mood." He mutters.

"Why wouldn't I be good mood?" shit. "I completely forgot about Draco."

"Good. Let's keep it that way." Ron smiles sincerely. We both change quickly and head down to the great hall.

The Christmas tree has been decorated in the great hall with golden stars and small candles; that flicker with little hope against the cold, I guess that's appropriate lighting given my situation. Warm snowflakes fall from the ceiling. The sky is a white cloud, empty and lifeless, reflecting how I feel inside

I squeeze between Ron and Dean. They talk through me. There attempts to join me in the conversation has failed. Draco is sitting next to Zabini. That slut. Hermione notices my rage and attempts to talk to me about quidditch. Admittedly I miss the sport but there is no point talking about it. "It's cancelled because of the dementors." I reply bluntly. Ending any form of conversation.

A light tap on the shoulder pulls me away from the table. Professor McGonagall's face is hollow. Big, black bags sag beneath her eyes. Coarse grey hair litters her back bun. Fear fills her eyes.

"Professor, are you okay?"

"No Potter." Her voice trembles. Before I can say some soothing words she carries on. "Two days is all we have, potter. Until they attack. They are drawn to the Christmas cheer. Hogwarts is in grave danger. Kingsley Shaklebolt has officially disbanded the dementors. It's all too late Potter."

I grab her wrists to prevent her from falling. "Professor, almost all of my students above the fourth year can produce a form of patronus. Enough to shield them. We can rally them to protect the school. Like what happened when Voldemort attacked."

"I hope you're right Potter, I really to do."

Draco's pov:

At the Slytherin table I sit next to Blaise Zabini. Hopefully that will anger Harry enough so that he will choose Ron. I don't want him to choose Ron. I want him to choose me. Although, I know that he would be better off without me. Sooner or later the daily profit will find out. Fortunately, the demontor attacks takes up so much attention that it has allowed me and harry to go unnoticed.

Today is going to drag. The note Harry sent me is crumpled in my pocket. For the 7th time at breakfast I take it out and reread it.

"Look at Harry." Blaise whispers in my ear.

From across the hall I spot Harry being pulled to the side by professor McGonagall. They talk in hushed tones. It is not difficult to know that they are talking about the dementor attacks. What about it?

Something is wrong. Harry stands up straight and walks to the Gryffindor table. He whispers in a few of their ears but doesn't sit down with them. He looks determined. Plus slightly more attractive. The raven haired boy carries on walking to the hall. He stands behind the golden owl, where all the old headmasters used to stand.

"I have an announcement." A few people turns their head towards the chosen one but many carry on with their Christmas chatter. Gryffindor's make loud hushing noises. Eventually everyone is quiet. "I have an announcement. Dementors are rumoured to attack Hogwarts." Harry pauses to allow the gasps in the room to silence. "Everyone in the fourth year above who can produce any form of patronus will be needed to defend the school. Report at the quidditch field at 12 and we will practise. Only people who can produce patronus charms please." That isn't me. Harry doesn't want me there.