Chapter 23

Harry's Pov:

"So…” There is no known way to kill dementors, right?" I say to the others. A crackling campfire lights their fatigued faces.

"Right." Hermione adds, as if she knew I wanted her approval, I did. "So we need to find a way of... trap-" My head shakes in agreement. "Trapping them? Yes. Trapping them; that could work."

"But how?" Neville expresses the confusion of all of us. Nobody replies as nobody knows how.

Together we sit around the campfire, gazing at the crackling fire, each individual deep in thought. Now, you might get annoyed at me, but all I can think about is Draco. Why did I leave without him? I'm positive some lustful kisses would help my creative juices start flowing. Instead I just long for a hug, anything to do with Draco, even a slap in the face. Hopefully the others are trying to fulfil the task set before us. Desperately I try to clasp at ideas of how to defeat the dementors. Fortunately, but arguably unfortunately, my thoughts fade from Dementors to Draco.

"I think I have got it." Ginny pipes up. Keen eyes watch her. She starts, taking her cue from our eagerness. "We form a massive ball of patronus charm where that one is already forming; clearly someone has tried that before and it seems to be working. They, whoever they were, failed. But I know how we can fix this." She paused as if to add suspense. "We block the entrance."

All of us respond with cries of relief. She's done it. She's done it! We can save the wizarding world. It takes a few days to precisely bring a plan together. It's rather risky, too risky in my opinion, but it has to be done. Obviously I have chosen the most dangerous role. Ron accompanies me. I wish he wouldn't but this task cannot be done alone.

Hermione is giving Ron a wet, slobbery kiss. I can't be the one to judge. If Draco was here... No. He isn't. I have to focus on getting out. Otherwise I will never see him again.

"Stay safe." She's whispers in his ear.

The four companions leave us.

We sprint. Dodging lumps of rock which litters the floor. Sharp turns. Frantically running. Ron is panting heavily behind me, gasping for air. A cruel darkness surrounds us. The light from the campfire no longer visible. We are alone.

"Expecto Partonum." I mutter quietly even though there is no one to disturb. The stag not only provides light, it protects us from the ever looming danger of the dementors. Without speaking Ron and I tread carefully to find the destination of the patronus ball. It's harder than before; we stumbled upon it by accident, now we are groping for it in the shadows. Retracing our steps is hard. Especially when navigating the maze of stalagmites with speed.

"Harry." Ron's whisper deafens me.

"Shh, you will bring attention to us."

"Bloody hell Harry, they only respond to happiness. I thought the chosen one would have known this. Clearly not."

"Are you going to say anything useful or are we going to carry on running?"

"The breeze." Before I can reply with a bombardment of sass, I notice the breeze Ron mentioned. We are at the centre of the cave. We are close. In an efficient movement I remove my stag. About two hundred and fifty meters away the patronus ball floats effortlessly. My eyes meet Ron’s and we start running again. This time at a slower pace so we can keep a watchful eye out for dementors.

Five minutes later we reach the glowing ball of happiness. As the ball is such a powerful source I and Ron are rather safe from the Dementors and their soul sucking, scabby hand nightmares.

"Expecto Patronum." We mutter in unison.

A silent stag and terrier join the ball. The process is repeated several times; stepping back to allow for the swirling ball to grow. Light radiates from the centre of the dank cave. Tens, hundreds, thousands of Dementors join the herd. I can tell by the goose bumps standing like a forest on my arm. Desperately I try and ignore the image of Draco's decaying, lifeless body floating around in the darkest place of my mind. To my left I can hear Ron's sobs which lets me know it's time to go.

We run back, slower than before, exhausted. Stumbling for what seems like hours. Gradually the air lightens, small amounts of lights can be seen and stones moving can be heard.

"It has been 10 hours. Harry told us to close it at 6. We can't wait much longer." Ginny's voice can be heard above the others.

"Ron." Hermione cries painfully.

"He knew the risk Hermione, he's my brother. He is our friend. And what about Harry? What will Draco do?" Ginny attempts to be sympathetic but comes off rather irritated.

"Draco will be fine." Luna pipes up. "He adores Harry, you would be stupid not to see it but he isn't dependant on him. You're blind not to see that."

"What relevance does that have?" Neville snaps.

"We should ignore Draco's feelings about this. He will cope eventually. Just consider their lives and the effect of the Dementors on the wizarding population." Luna replies surprisingly calmly. As much as I hate it, it's true. Draco chose me, he is not dependant on me but I cannot bare to leave him. I and Ron run faster. Both too drained to scream.

"Lock it up then." Hermione says detached. After a long pause she continues. "If they have not come back yet, they have failed. Dead. They are dead. Bury them with stones. Prevent any of those dementors from was escaping otherwise we are all dead. Make their lives worthwhile."

We push our legs harder. The stones are being moved. One last light is left.

"WAIT." Ron is sobbing, hitting the rock wall. "We are here. Alive. HERMIONE, GINNY, NEVILLE, LUNA." 

The rock walls tumble down.