~ 21

Chapter 21 |

Kyela's Pov

Michael held the door open for me as I walked out of the doctor's office with his hand in mine. I heard him cough lightly, so I looked up at him. He gave me a stern look, and I turned away.

"Are you going to listen to the doctor's advice this time?" He asked.

"Which part of it?" I retorted.

He rolled his eyes as he left me to get into the driver's side of the car. "About taking it easy, staying off your feet," he said.

I snorted as I scooched into the car, using the handle above the car door for assistance. "I will as soon as we get home from the grocery store," I said.

He grunted, "Seriously?"

He started the car, and I giggled.

"I have an entire list. I'll make it quick. I promise," I said.

He pulled out of the parking lot and shook his head. I reached over and pinched his cheek gently, making him smile.

"Speaking of lists, I don't have a clue what to name her," I said as I rubbed my stomach. With Kees, we had everything figured out before I even reached seven months, but this was different. My head wasn't on straight, and we had more things to worry about in addition to a baby name.

Michael glanced at me before hovering over the steering wheel. He merely shrugged, and I sighed.

"Maybe it's best that way. We'll know when we see her for the first time," he suggested.

I scoffed, "That makes me feel so... Anxious... Like we're so unprepared."

He turned into the Walmart parking lot.

"When have we ever been prepared?" He muttered.

I hobbled inside to the bread aisle. Michael followed closely behind. I grabbed a bag of bagels and started to walk away when I stopped in my tracks. Michael came up and touched the small of my back, and I jumped. Trying to play it off, I looked down at the bag in my hands.

"You okay?" He asked me.

I nodded, "Yeah, yeah. I'm cool. Hey, um... Could you go and get eggs, cheese, and milk? You know which kind to get, don't you?"

He narrowed his eyes at me but nodded anyway. I watched him disappear around the corner before I turned back to what caught my attention in the first place.

I grunted and grabbed a bag of poppy seed bagels from the shelf. I threw them at the guy, gaining his attention.

"What the fuck?" He asked.

I rolled my eyes. "That's what I should be saying. What the hell are you doing here? You still stalking me? What do you want?"

He chuckled sarcastically and took a step towards me. I  grabbed another bag and chucked it at him. He dodged it and charged at me. I backed away as fast as I could, but I wanted him to get closer so I could slap the taste out of his mouth.

So I did.

He held his face and gripped the metal shelf behind me. His hands shook so much that I thought the whole thing would collapse.

"You are the worst!" He yelled at me.

"Then, stop following me!" I shouted back.

He sighed and looked around. "I swear if we weren't in public, I'd..."

"You'd what?" I heard behind him.

My eyes traveled over his shoulder where I saw Michael standing there, empty-handed. He shoved the guy in the chest, and made him get away from me, and I groaned.

"Michael, would you go and get the stuff I asked for?!"

Michael glared at me.

"Yeah, Michael. Go get the milk and eggs," the guy mocked.

Michael turned to him and grabbed the front of his shirt and forced him into the shelf behind him. They had a staring match for a second before I decided to get in between them.

"Michael, he's not fucking worth it. Let him go," I demanded.

The man just smirked at Michael, and I rolled my eyes.

"Leave my family alone for fuck's sake!" Michael screamed. He let him loose, and I sighed.

I wasn't even sure if the guy was gone before I bursted into tears, and Michael wrapped his arms around me. He rubbed the top of my head, and I looked over his shoulder where a small crowd had formed. They were slowly walking away, but they were still staring. Michael groaned and turned to them.

"Mind your own business, maybe?" He shouted.

I gently grabbed his hand, and he sighed, "Are you okay?"

I shook my head. "No! No, I'm not okay. He keeps doing this, and I'm so tired..."

"Wait, he keeps doing what?" He asked me.

I shrugged while struggling to find the words.

"Following me. He's been popping up since I was pregnant with Kees, and it's driving me crazy," I cried.

He narrowed his eyes at me. "This isn't the first time? Kyela, why didn't you tell me?"

I looked up at him before I bent down to pick up the bread that I had dropped. I wiped my face and sighed.

"I was supposed to, but shit hit the fan before I could," I said.

He looked at me with a unreadable expression. I gritted my teeth as a contraction hit me right in the gut. Sensing my discomfort, Michael grabbed my hand with one of his and the bread in my hand with the other.

"I'd kill that son-of-a-bitch if I could stay awake long enough," I told him.

He gave me a sort of half-smirk and kissed the top of my hand.

"I know you would, but let's get out of here. I'll buy the groceries later, okay?" He said.

I nodded, and we walked out of the grocery store hand in hand.

My, my, my... What's gonna happen when that baby's born?