Chapter 4- Glass Half-Empty

Chapter 4
Glass Half-Empty

Disclaimer: I do not own Fairy Tail or its characters, only my own OC's, Energy Magic, and Ideas

.:+:.

"Hmm?"

The young woman with fiery red hair pulled up, her green eyes casting back toward the figure of Chase as she noticed he fell behind, his blue eyes casting up toward the sky overhead, looking over the forest and the line of trees sloping down away below them. Four long days of movement, dodging from town to won in their march back to the Guild- and now they were so close, but he stopped.

Chase drew to a halt, looking back the way they had come and the figure of Magnolia below them, over the pale blue expanse of the sky stretching over the lands surrounding the town- hair ruffled back by a sudden strong gust of cool wind sweeping over everything, the tie he pulled it into shaking softly in the breeze.

He blinked, his hands settled in his pockets and silent, attention focused on the distant horizon- senses on high at the sudden flux of energy that tingled at the base of his mind. Something foreign, something he hadn't quite felt before, it was like a wash of fresh air from a hot summer day... Almost like coming up for air after being held under the water for a long time. Refreshing, pleasant... Calm.

He blinked again, blue eyes glittering as he took in a breath. His skin pulled slightly under the small, faint scar running across the bridge of his nose, left there on his skin by a wicked blade and grasped by a hand long and thin.... A smile pulling at twisted lips as the glow of cold, glinting eyes.

He swallowed as the unwanted memory flashed in his mind, pushing it away as he focused on what strange Energy suddenly danced upon the air, moving and twisting with the wind as if it were carried by a leaf caught in it's clutches. It was pleasant, it was warm and cool at once... And light. It left a strange, pleasurable feeling in his core... Remnants of something he hadn't felt as often as he should.

Seven long years.... And this is the first time, he had actually felt some small burst of.... Hope..?

He blinked again, head tilting slightly. He didn't quite understand this feeling at all, it wasn't like anything he'd felt before. It wasn't something bad, inherently this sudden flux of Energy, of emotion that seemed to spark off the wind itself.... It felt blissful. He found himself taking a deep breath in, as if he wanted to drink it.

"Chase," the girl with the red hair murmured, eyebrow quirked. When he didn't reply she sighed, looking slightly bemused. "Energy Mages... Always looking off into the distance like they're on a different planet or something..." She shook her head, glancing sideways toward another young woman, her silver hair glinting in the sunlight as she glanced toward Chase, her purple gaze fixed and steady.

"You didn't feel that?" The silver haired woman murmured, the other blinked.

"What?" She mumbled, sweatdropping slightly as she glanced away, arms crossed over her chest. The one with the purple eyes blinked, giving the other a pointed look- which was promptly scowled upon.

".... Tch.... You mean that sudden burst of warmth on the wind?" The red-head mumbled, she sighed, looking away at the sun overhead. "Yeah.... It kinda feels like the sun started shining more brightly than it has in a long time."

"... Something happened." The girl with the purple eyes murmured, "Something changed..... That's probably what he's picked up on." She gestured toward the motionless figure of Chase, his back to the both of them. The red-head blinked, sweatdropping slightly.