Chapter Seventeen

On the fourth day, I train by myself while Ryu nurses his wounds from our so-called "practice fight." Elio has his servants deliver ripe figs, dates, plump bundles of grapes, and bottomless carafes of cider to cheer Ryu up. The prince has sprigs of mint and honey salve to pour on Ryu's bruises, professional palace physicians to tend to any swelling that the beautiful young man has on his body. The Chosen One himself lines Ryu's eyes with kohl to shield him from the sun. The prince dresses him in the finest silk, and they sing songs together to pass the time. Ryu has a pleasantly melodic voice, like gentle rain, while Elio joins in with his crashing timbre of baritone, perfectly trained as only a prince could be.

I train alone on that fourth day as Elio tends to Ryu, playing nurse in the decorated tent. I punch the desert rock to make my knuckles bleed, to toughen the skin. People around me call me the "mad girl", but they call Ryu and Elio worse things. They say Ryu was following the path of his mother, just another plaything for the royals to tear apart. They say Elio was growing soft, tending to handsome bastard sons and ugly soldier witches. They say, on the fourth day, that the desert has driven me wild to the point that I'm out to murder Ryu. They make up wild fantasy stories of my being jealous of Elio's affection, of wanting Elio all to myself and slaughtering Ryu as my romantic rival.

I punch the earth until I lose all feeling in my hands, all feeling in myself. I wrap pieces of cloth soaked in oil around the worst of my wounds, and then I pray until the sun goes down. I pray at each temple. First, I bow with my head against the steps of Cato's altar. Then I go to Aziz. I listen to the songs and lost myself to the dancing, stumbling clumsily through the steps like a drunk. Finally, for the Blind God, I steal honey cake from a careless playboy's tent and leave it on the steps. Maybe the priests will enjoy it if Kane won't.

On the fourth day, I sleep outside Alef's tent, watching Ryu and Elio's silhouettes as Elio wraps a cold cloth on Ryu's head. I believe that they hated me for my lack of self-control, for my crazed, vengeful bloodthirst. I believe I'm better off dead to them.

However sometime, during the night, I feel strong hands lift me up. When I wake up, Ryu's arms are wrapped around me.

"Wake up, pup." Ryu grins at me and ruffled my hair. At that moment, Prince Elio strides into the tent, his hands on his swarthy hips.

"Rise and shine," Elio chuckles softly at the pun, his palms aglow with that blinding flame, "I hope you didn't think you could escape practice by sleeping outside, milady."

"I thought..." I trail off, looking at how Ryu's bruises have healed with Elio's tender care. I look at the way they smile upon me, like family. "I hurt you. I thought you must hate me."

"You thought wrong." Ryu sticks his tongue out at me and whacks me with a cushion. I respond by playfully falling backwards and feigning defeat. "Hurry up now, pup. I'd like to get out of here before the war ends!"

Elio falls on the blankets next to us, wrapping us up in one hell of a bear hug. "I don't know about you guys, but I could stay in bed all day."

Ryu raises an eyebrow at him, "oh really?" His voice drops down to a sultry whisper.

I roll my eyes at their lovey-dovey antics, but despite the mushiness, I'm relieved.

Maybe I can call them friends instead of just allies.      

***

Hello my Champions!

Any they all lived happily ever after...

Just kidding.

-Sophia