Chapter Seventy-Eight

Kane's hand goes towards my eye.

Fingers curled, trembling.

See nothing, feel everything. Screams of pain from the both of us.

So much worse when in this form. So much worse when not anchored to a body.

Purest essence in the Before. Purest pain when only stardust.

Eye for eye, sight for sight.

I wake up from eternal night.

***

When I wake up, returning from the starscape and dropped unceremoniously back into the Pit, the world is split into many colors.

Everything glows with an inner light, just like my heart and blood did in the Before realm. Those that glow with shining silver light were living, a breath of life torn from Kane's own body. Silver, like the colors of Kane's eyes before they were gouged and his hair. If red thrums through their minds, it means lust, the scent of bloody lust that violates your skin, makes it crawl with hidden desire. Eyes that glow white, no pupils visible, mean a different sort of desire, a hunger for vicious victory, ill-gotten, any means. Triumph. War.

These lights are where Aziz, Cato, and Kane differ. Aziz infects their thoughts with the madness of lust. Cato takes their mind's eye captive, makes them see only victory if they go to battle, feed off war. But Kane... Kane gave of himself to create life. Kane is life.

Now I have his eye.

Now I see as Kane does.

This will be fun.

I sit up. Rough hands and voices pull back.

"Gods damn it all!" They curse. "Thought the pretty little thing was dead."

I smile. Blood between teeth. A scar running down half of my face, half of my face just as flawed as Kane's. Beautiful, yet terrible. The progeny of the Before.

I see the silver threads of Kane's heart-given life within them, glowing, thrumming. Curious of my newfound gift, I reach out and touch one of the silver beams of light, fashioning it using Kane's keen eye, just like the illuminated lifeblood I saw within the starlit Before. The man yowls like a cat. I pinch my fingers over the thread, my nails cutting easily through it. He shudders once, face contorting into a silent scream. I stand in awe, my body drunk on power.

I have the eye of Kane the Blind God.

No, false.

I have the eye of the god who created life.

I took his power for my own, at the cost of my sweat. My blood. My heart.

Now, I can control it.

Just like that, his silver thread of life cut, the man falls.

Dead.

***

Champions,

Thank you so much for your continued, joy-giving comments, the votes, and all your support. <3 It means the world.

Also, seems like Ode's semi-lost it. (I mean, I put the poor girl through a lot of ordeals.)

That's always... interesting. (Oh dear, somebody's going to get hurt.)

Best,

Sophia