Chapter Twenty-One

The seventh day, the final day before the competition, is supposed to be reserved for meditating on the challenge for Kane the Blind. However, since nobody respects him, most people just engage in revelry and debauchery before the ultimate judgment. I take this time to wander the praying area, looking at all the desperate warriors kneeling one final time before the Elder's altar and throwing gold upon it. The artists are heaping fruit and scraps of poetry on the steps of the Beloved. Everyone wants a part of the Divine bounty.

I'm the only one to stop at the Blind God's temple, unwrapping the oil cloth that holds a somewhat crumbly honey cake that I made myself. Ryu and Elio are back resting in Elio's tent, so I have this time to pray alone. The altar is empty, the mad priest probably buying flour from the camp's stores. I kneel for a moment and bow my head, the mirror cold at my belt.

Maybe...

I look at the mirror's reflection, but there's no flash of violet light or other paranormal happening. The mirror stays dull, no matter how long I pray here. Even my ghosts are silent, fading in and out of view quickly on command.

I sigh and brush myself off, thankful I changed back into my freshly washed exercise robe instead of the performing finery. I feel more like myself in these clothes, not having to force so many appearances. I'm lost in thought, wondering about the Blind God, when I make my way back to Alef's tent. It's dark out, and I imagine I can hear Ryu laughing back at Elio's tent, the clink of their glasses as they gorge themselves with cider, snacking on dried, sugary fruit until their bellies can't hold any more.

When I reach the tent, a large hand claps over my mouth. "Don't make a sound, sand fly." The stranger's nails dig into my skin, pulling me into the shadows.

Alef throws me to the ground, his bulk heaving, somewhat drunk. "I was going to pay a visit to that bastard Ryu and beat him within an inch of his life, but you'll do, runt." I struggle to stand, but he kicks me in the ribs and the pain blinds me. I lash out weakly, grabbing at his ankles to trip him. But he twists away easily, and I'm forced to snatch my hand back before he gets the opportunity to break my fingers.

"You won't," I wince as I try to crawl away, but Alef puts his boot on my thigh, "I'll never let you get to Ryu. Never. I'd kill you first."

Alef presses down harder. I scream from the pain.

***

Hello my Champions,

AAAAAAH!

-Sophia the Articulate