Chapter Fifty-Four

Ratu sticks her tongue out, her voice mocking, mimicking a rat filling the air with useless squeaking, "go on, little maid." She puts her hands on her hips, puffing out her chest, "I'm Emperor Elio. I'm a man's man. I rule all." She chews the inside of her cheek as she snaps the silk sheets above the bed, wringing it like she'd wring a man's neck, "Stupid sun god. He has the worst arrogance of any man I've ever met. Beating up old men like Serkan. Just shameful."

She smoothes the last crease, exhaling as she reaches for the batik sash embroidered with needle-thin dragons. She ties it over her lips, leaving only her eyes on display, rimmed with thick, black lashes. Okay, Ratu, she looks to the open window, the balcony crested in brilliant mosaics in patterns like miniature, obnoxious suns. Let's see what I can find out for Ode.

Pads over in bare feet, leaving her slippers by the door. She reaches into her belt and pulls out another, longer scarf, knotting it on the balcony railing. Looking at the sheer drop to the gardens below, she turns instead to the more comforting wall in front of her. Her eyes scan for dents in the wall, footholds and places to curl her desperate hands. She looks for climbing spaces, the only things keeping her body from plummeting to the bird-infested gardens below.

And then, taking in a deep breath, she begins her descent.

She lowers her body bit by bit, holding onto the scarf as an anchor. Naturally, the scarf holds. It was made in Jiwa, of course it'd hold better than any Rahasian craftsmanship.

Yet her hands slip.

Flailing, she dangles above the next ledge below Ode's room. Allah save me. She throws her weight backwards, her feet narrowly missing the railing below. Another swing, her hands slip again.

And then she lets go.

Rolling, she takes most of the impact in her shoulder. She groans, biting her lip to keep from screaming at the shock. Her teeth jar, clanging painfully in her mouth. She stays on the ground, peeling open her eyes and seeing the blinding light of day. She stifles another groan as she gets shakily to her feet, tugging the silk scarf down and bundling it up, sticking it beneath her waistband to hide it again.

And then she looks at the room around her.

And sees Advisor Ryu, or at least his body, hovering above the bed.

Nothing but air below him.

***

Hey there Champions,

Ratu's out and about, sneaking round the palace.

I wonder what's going to happen to our favorite Queen of Thieves...

-Sophia