➳chapter twenty-three➳

I had gotten so used to not seeing Jack at school that when he returned on Wednesday instead of Monday, I jumped when he walked up to me and Wyatt.

"What's wrong with you?" He questioned, furrowing his eyebrows.

I shook my head, grabbing his hand. "I actually forgot that you go here. I'm so used to seeing you on your bed."

Wyatt coughed, looking awkward. I didn't bother to specify that I didn't mean it in that way.

Jack pouted, nudging my side so hard with his elbow that I winced. "That was rude."

"Sorry princess. Did you get to make up all your work from last week?"

He nodded, gripping my hand tighter.

The bell rang, leaving Wyatt to depart from us. He looked grateful.

"Are you sure you don't want me to walk you to class, baby boy?"

Jack shook his head, letting go of my hand insistently. "No, Finnlard, I can go on my own. Your class is on the other side of school."

He stood on the tips of his toes, holding the hem of his skirt so it didn't ride up, and gave me a soft and fast kiss on the lips.

I frowned as he walked away. "Love you!" I yelled, earning weird looks from the other occupants of the hallway. He responded with a glance and a wink.

I made my way to my own class, staring at the ground. I knew that I was being too overprotective of Jack but I was wary of what could and might happen to him. I blamed myself for what that asshole almost did to him, and in my unnecessary self pity I crashed into someone, knocking the textbook and notebook I was holding in my hands to the ground.

My face got warmer as I scrambled to the ground, picking up my things with the help of the person who I hit. I looked up, my entire body immediately recoiling back, clutching the books tightly.

"Noah."

His eyes were wide, afraid, almost, his knuckles turning white do to his grip on his shoulder strap.

I started to back away, trying to get away from the situation as fast as possible, but he followed after me. "Finn! Finn! Please, just listen to me!"

The late bell rang, the hallway now mostly empty. I broke into some sort of pathetic run, which was hard with skinny jeans, but he chased after me faster, grabbing my hand and pulling me into the nearest bathroom.

"Listen, Finn, I'm so, so sorry about what happened-" he started, blocking the doorway so that I couldn't get out.

"I don't want to hear it! You almost ruined the best thing that's ever happened to me!"

"Finn! Please! I regret it so much! Just listen to me!"

I sighed, still fighting to get past him and out of the grimy high school bathroom. "You know what? It's fine. Whatever. Just stay away from me."

He shook his head, insistent that I had to listen to him. "Look, all I ever wanted was to be your friend. That's it. I didn't want to interfere with your relationship...I was just...curious, I think."

I was on the verge of fuming. I knew in some part of me that it was irrational to pin every bit of blame on Noah, because I was the one who kissed back for whatever reason.

I started to feel bad.

No, Finn. Don't let him...trap you or whatever.

"Your curiosity was no excuse to kiss me. I was in a relationship, and if you were so curious you had a ton of other resources so you're just spewing bullshit right now."