Chapter Four

ChristianxSophie

"Huh, so Mr. Bradshaw and your sister have been best friends since they were in high school?"

"Yeah," I say quietly and look at my feet.

"But you're commendable," she says with a chipper voice. "You have my respect."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, with your sister in the mix, it's hard to get into any fights, right?" She asks and I look down again. "It's not like he's totally a stranger so it's like some complicated relationship."

"Does he compare you to her?" She asks and I cringe a little. Even though I didn't give her my sister's name, she makes it sound like "her" is some evil being.

"No, not really." I shrug and she smiles.

"It's so cute how you talk about him too," she says. "Like you're in love with him or something."

"Huh! No way! I'm not in love at all." I shake my head and take a deep breath.

"Your longing look says otherwise." She teases.

"I'm sorry if I bore you with it though," I say and she laughs.

"No, I like it. You can talk more." She encourages me but I don't really want to anymore. "You talk about him with such enthusiasm and vigor. It's cute."

We both laugh as we sit on the bench near the library and part of me can't help feeling like she's hitting on me.

~~~~

Christian's POV

"Hey, I don't mind the visit, but could you not use my library as your personal bookshelf?" Hannah, my ex, stands before me in her usual business skirt and blouse. She's let her hair down today. It's nice, if not for her scowl.

I've known her since we were kids. She was my only friend for a while then my girlfriend for six years. I feel guilty for loving Jodie and her at the same time. But that's why I ended things. Since then, we've been cordial to one another.

She looks like she's aged a little. Stress maybe? The light in her hazel eyes has dimmed and her chestnut hair looks a little lighter from last time I saw her. She's the same age, so I don't know why she's aging faster than me.

"You should lay off the cigarettes and stress." I advise her but she scoffs and folds her arms.

"I could say the same to you." She rolls her eyes and looks at the book I'm holding. I stare out the window, glaring at that girl.

I just know I've seen that girl from somewhere before. I don't like her talking to Sophie.

"As an associate professor in Long Beach college for faculty of communications, you sure have an array of book collections that surpass that of a normal library." I go back to the first conversation and open up the book I'm not too curious about.

"I'll loan them to you, but because we're friends," she says with her hands on her hips. "But they're rare, and I want them back."

"Yeah, no worries." I smile half heartedly and look out the window again. That Susan girl is touching Sophie's hair and braiding it. They're laughing but I can tell something's up with that Susan girl.

"Hey," she says, catching my attention. But I'm too distracted with what I see, racking my mind with ideas as to who this Clifford girl is.

~~~~

Sophie's POV

"So the Communication Studies club is going to Palm Springs for the weekend so celebrate the first successful month of recruits. If you'd like, I can add you to the guest list?" Susan and I walk down the long stretch of pavement from the school.