chapter 3

Mel leaned back against Adam's chest as they sat on a blanket in the park. She could feel the gently rhythm of his breathing and the rumble in his chest when he laughed as they talked. The smell of his shampoo surrounded her, as it had many times before, and made her feel safe in its familiar surroundings. Friday movie night in the park was a big hit and there were a ton of people here tonight. Adam and Mel sat in the back more interested in each other than the movie.

"You remember me talking about this movie night, didn't you?" Mel asked.

"Yes," Adam drawled. "I know what my girl likes."

"You do," Mel said as she turned her head to kiss him again. Adam was sweet and gentle. Most importantly he totally understood her. Her quirkiness and spontaneity were turns offs for some guys, but Adam seemed to relish them.

"I do actually have another surprise for you," Adam said.

"Gimme, gimme," Mel laughed. She sat up straight and turned to face him.

"Well, it's nothing physical . . . maybe in a way it is."

"You have me totally confused and dying to know," Mel laughed.

Adam looked into Mel's eyes and knew he was doing the right thing. His world could not exist without Mel, and he would do anything to keep her close.

"Here, I'll let you read it," Adam said pulling out an envelope from his back pocket.

Mel snatched the envelope and opened it without even seeing that the return address was from UCLA. She opened the letter and began to read that Adam had been accepted into the university. Her eyebrows furrowed as confusion registered on her face.

"What is this about?" Mel asked.

"I'm not going to NYU," Adam said with a smile. "I'm going to go to school here to be near you."

Mel's hands shook with disbelief. Of all the things Adam could have told her, this was the last.

"How …" Mel knew she had to say this, but it caused a lump in her throat, "How can you do that?"

Adam's smile faded from his face. "I did it for you."
"I realize that, but you can't," Mel said. She choked on the sob that threatened to escape. She couldn't let him know how much this hurt her.

"I thought you'd be happy," Adam said as he took the letter back from Mel's trembling hands. Adam didn't look her in the face as he concentrated on folding the letter and putting it back in his pocket. It hurt her heart to make him upset, but she knew what she had to do.

"I can't be the reason you don't pursue your dream," Mel said. "I don't want you to look back ten years from now and regret this decision. It's not fair to you."

Adam finally looked in Mel's face and saw the love in her eyes. She was sincere, and her lips trembled from fighting unshed tears.

"Why do you get to decide what's fair? I know what I want."

"Because I am the last person who would ask anyone to give up a dream for her," Mel said. She knew that dreams were important, especially like Adam's dream to go to NYU. He had talked about it for years. She couldn't be the one to deny him that.

"You didn't ask me . . ."
"By letting you do this, I would be accepting," Mel said, "And I won't."

"So that's it?" Adam said starting to get upset. "You've decided that we're going to break up?"

Mel shook her head because that was the last thing she wanted. She knew long distance relationships – especially bicoastal – were tough. Mel loved Adam, but could their love survive that?