chapter 14

"Aren't you happy to see me, mate?" Ian said as he hugged Eddie.

"Absolutely," Eddie said as he hugged Ian back. "I just thought you were in the Orient for a few months."

"I was," Ian said. "The gig finished early. Wow, Loren," he said addressing her, "You look so different. I guess the makeover fairies got to you."

"Something like that," Loren said. She wasn't sure if she should be offended or not.

There was another knock on the door, and this time it was Mel. Loren let her in thankful for someone else in the room.

"Ian," Mel said. "Great to see you again."

"Have we met?" Ian asked clearly not remembering.

"Yeah, you met her at my party," Loren said.

"Oh, sorry," Ian laughed. "I was completely sloshed. That doesn't count. It's a pleasure to see you again . . ."

"Mel," she said.

Ian smiled and nodded. "So does anyone want to go to dinner? I'm famished."

"I was just gonna order in," Eddie said.

"No, c'mon, let's go to Rumor," Ian said. "I want something good."

"I'll order from Rumor then," Eddie laughed. "We've been at the studio all day, really all week, and we just wanna hang out here."

"We?" Ian asked. "Are you two cohabitating?"

"Just for now," Loren said. "I'll let Eddie explain. Mel and I are going upstairs to talk. Just order us whatever." Loren took Mel's hand and led her up to the loft.

"Was he always that big of a jerk?" Mel asked as they walked into the bedroom.

"He just moves in a different world than we do," Loren said.

"Yeah, but it's your world too now, Lo," Mel reminded her.

While Loren thought about Mel's words, Mel looked around the bedroom in awe.

"This room is amazing," Mel said. "Just like the rest of the penthouse."

A king sized bed with its gray and black colors was the focus, but even it was dwarfed in the massive room. An alcove extended off of the bedroom. It had a sunroof with a couch and two-story shelves lined with books, cds, and albums. The walls of the alcove were tall windows offering a view for miles. A window seat with its fluffy cushions beckoned someone to sit and stare at the Southern California landscape.

Across from the bed was a massive 52 inch television mounted on the wall. The other walls were decorated with contemporary art pieces with colors matching the room décor of black and gray. Occasionally a piece would have a splash of color like red or orange. A few key pieces stood out due to their cubist qualities.

"Does Eddie collect art?" Mel asked.

Loren laughed, "No, he said he hired an interior designer to do the penthouse. He doesn't even know what those pieces are."

"Okay, that's funny," Mel said.

On the opposite side from the alcove was the walk in closet about the size of Mel's bedroom. Mel walked across the plush carpet and peeked into the open door of the closet. It had rows of clothes including things she recognized from Eddie's photos and stage performances. A small couch was in the center of the closet where you could sit and think about what your look would be for the day.

"Seriously, this is sick," Mel said. "I need this closet." Mel paused for a minute and then said, "It's weird because sometimes when you're with Eddie, I forget he's this super huge rock star guy because he's so nice, but then I see this . . ."