chapter 7

Mel was blown away by a few films in the showcase. She would never let anyone see her doubts, but sometimes she wondered if she could really be a director. Did she have that vision like the great directors had? Can you learn it, or are you just born with it?

These were the questions she was pondering as she sat in a coffee shop around the corner from the theater in Encino. It was filled with a variety of people; some were college aged, some older, there was even a family with two small children. Mel was wondering about the wisdom of having two small children out at midnight when someone interrupted her thoughts.

"Funny seeing you here."

Mel looked up and saw her mystery theater guy standing next to her table. He was smiling at her, and she could swear the room got brighter. He looked just as cute as he did earlier outside the theater. His five o'clock shadow was a little darker and his hair was mussed. That only added to his charm.

"Yeah, I like to relax at midnight by pumping more caffeine into my veins," Mel laughed. Alright Mel, tone it down.

"Did you enjoy the films?" he asked.

"I did; they were great."

Why was she sounding like such a dork?

He nodded and smiled again. "Well if you're interested in UCLA film school, you should come to our open house Monday."

Oh no, was he a professor?

"Ah, I might do that," Mel said trying to hide the disappointment in her voice.

"It's at East Melnitz Hall, 6 pm. I hope to see you there."

"Okay."

The mystery guy started to walk away.

Damn, I don't even know his name.

Before Mel could say anything, he turned, "I'm Brian."

"Mel," she said as she waved her hand.

Brian smiled and went to sit down with a group of guys at a booth in the back of the coffee shop. Mel quickly finished her coffee and left. This was dangerous. Her relationship with her boyfriend was a mess, and flirting with another guy would do nothing to help it.

Nora cursed at herself for the thousandth time. Here she was being treated like a queen by a man who was totally in love with her, and she was letting the words of one random stranger get in her head. Last night Max could tell something was wrong with her; he asked her once if everything was okay, to which she said no, and then he left it at that. She loved that he knew when she needed time to think. She woke up this morning determined to forget the words of the beautiful dark-haired stranger who was obviously trying to just goad her into doubt. Unfortunately she couldn't forget.

Max handed her a glass of wine as they waited on the plane for the pilot to announce their departure.

"Baby," Max said, "We can play this game all the way back to California, or you can tell me what's wrong."

"I'm so mad at myself," Nora confessed. "I'm sorry, Max, I've been acting like a fool."

"What is it?" Max asked as he sat next to Nora and put his arms around her. Nora leaned into his chest and closed her eyes, embarrassed at what she had been thinking these last several hours.

"Nora?"

"Max, don't be mad at me," she said as she buried her face in his chest. She lifted her head and looked Max directly in the eyes, "When we were in Little Italy yesterday and I went to the bathroom, there was a woman in there who said some things that, well, they rattled me."