chapter 21

"Hi, Nora," Trent said as he stood on the front stoop of what once was his house. It was smaller than he remembered. He always felt stifled in this nondescript house in the valley. Loftier dreams kept him from being satisfied with a gorgeous wife and beautiful child. Every once in a while he would feel a pang of regret. Those feelings intensified when he saw how successful his daughter was becoming. He hoped that in some way he could say he was responsible for it, but he knew that wasn't true. Nevertheless, he wanted to benefit from it.

"Trent," Nora said. She was waiting for him to tell her why he was at her house.

"Can I come in?" Trent asked. He looked past Nora and saw Max walking up behind her. This was going to be fun.

"I don't think – "

"I come in peace," Trent said holding up his hands. "I just wanted to tell you that I saw Loren today."

"Yeah, she told me about that," Nora said. Against her better judgment, Nora stepped aside and let Trent into the living room.

"Trent this is Max Duran; Max, this is Trent McCall, Loren's father."

"It's a pleasure to meet you Max," Trent said as he held out his hand.

"I wish I could say the same," Max said refusing to shake.

"What is it you want to tell me, Trent?" Nora asked.

"Just that Loren and I had a good talk . . . "

"She told me," Nora said getting frustrated.

"Did she tell you about my offer in Las Vegas?" Trent asked. He took in Nora's features. She was still beautiful. The blush he remembered crept into her cheeks as she became more upset. It only added to her beauty.

"What offer?" Max asked. In everything that had happened today, Nora had forgotten to tell Max about Trent offering the condominium while in Las Vegas.

"Trent offered us some condos next week in Las Vegas for the awards show," Nora said.

"We don't need your help," Max said.

"Both Loren and Eddie like the idea," Nora said. She hated to disagree with Max in front of Trent, but he needed to know that Loren and Eddie wanted to stay there.

"They're too kind-hearted," Max said.

"Logistically it is easier to secure," Trent said. "I can provide any extra security you'll need."

"Where's the building?" Nora asked.

Trent grinned at Nora. "Do you remember that trip we took to Vegas right before you found out you were pregnant with Loren?"

Nora stole a quick glance at Max before she nodded her head.