chapter 17

"Hi, I'm Loren," Loren said to the tall stranger. He looked familiar. He had gorgeous blue eyes, but they seemed empty. He was smiling, but his eyes held no emotion at all. Loren couldn't put her finger on what was bothering her about him.

"I know who you are," Raymond said. "I've wanted to meet you." He looked up from Loren's face and nodded to a few people who said "hello" to him. Loren remembered where she had seen him; he was a model.

"Thank you, I appreciate that," Loren said. "If you'll excuse me, I want to get up close to the stage for the performance."

"What's your hurry?" Raymond purred. "I want to talk to you."

Loren started to feel uncomfortable by the attention. She scanned the crowd looking for a familiar face, but saw none. She was about to be slightly rude to this guy, but a familiar voice made her jump.

"Stealing my fiancé wasn't enough, now you're going after my date?" Chloe said.

Loren turned and forced herself to smile. She knew all eyes were on them right now given their history. Loren had to make a quick exit from this toxic situation.

It was a good thing Loren had experience dealing with rudeness. "Good to see you tonight, Chloe. I'm glad you're here supporting this great cause."

"What?" Chloe said. "That's all you have to – "

"Look, that photographer wants our picture," Raymond interrupted. "Everyone smile."

Loren had no choice but to turn towards the camera and smile. Any other reaction would be fodder for the gossip mongers.

The emcee for the event was up at the microphone introducing Eddie. Loren was determined not to let Chloe ruin this moment for her.

"It was wonderful meeting you Raymond," Loren said loud enough for anyone who was eavesdropping to hear. "Chloe, a pleasure. Please excuse me; I want to see Eddie sing." She nodded her head, but before she took a step, she couldn't help saying, "I like to support my boyfriend in everything he does. I don't miss performances."

"This way," Kelly said as she walked down the hallway. She knew this was a bad idea, but Eddie had insisted. Jake had made her promise that she would keep Eddie and Loren from making the tabloid headlines tonight, especially with Chloe being here. She figured that this was a small price to pay.

"Where are we going?" Chloe asked.

"Someone wants to have a word with you," was all Kelly would say.

They reached a small conference room at the end of a hallway in a back area of the hotel. Chloe stepped in and noticed the air had been turned up, and it was cold. She wrapped her arms around herself as she waited for whatever Kelly had planned for her.

She turned, fully expecting to give Kelly a piece of her mind for dragging her down here and away from the party. The words stopped cold when she saw that Eddie had walked in and was standing just inside the doorway.