chapter 19

"How in the hell did this bastard know that Loren told me about his threat?" Eddie asked as he burst into Jake's office.

Eddie was furious. He had held it together during the drive to the office, but he couldn't contain his frustration any longer. Something had to be done. This stalker was playing with them and held all the cards.

Loren walked in and sat on the couch in the office while she fidgeted with her purse strap. Eddie had repeatedly told her that even though the stalker knew she told him, she did the right thing. She was trying to believe that. One good result about being constantly in Eddie's presence during all of this is that he would be in hers too. With him close to her, she would know firsthand that he was safe. That's all that mattered.

Loren took in Jake's appearance and saw that something was way off. He looked tired and haggard. His clothes were wrinkled and he had more than a five o'clock shadow on his face. He either had not been home in a while or didn't care about his appearance. Either way, Jake did not seem like himself.

"I don't know," Jake said in answer to Eddie's question as he got up from his desk chair.

"Who did you tell?" Eddie demanded to know.

"I called my contact at the police department to file the report, and that's it."

"No one else?" Eddie asked.

"Just Kelly and Steve here in the office know," Jake confirmed.

Eddie turned to look at Kelly and Steve standing at the doorway looking in. Their faces held concern, but not guilt. Eddie knew they would never say anything. Many secrets had passed through this office, and there had never been a leak before. There was no reason to believe that one would start now.

"Loren and I talked in my penthouse. There is no way anyone could have overheard."

"There was a large group there, Eddie," Loren said softly from the couch.

Eddie turned to her and took in her demeanor. Her eyes were downcast and her right foot kept twitching as it lightly thumped a fast rhythm on the floor. He walked over to her and sat down on the couch, taking her hand in his and lacing their fingers together.

He lifted her chin with his other hand and turned her eyes to his. "What do you mean?" he gently asked.

"We were getting ready for the gala, and Kelly came with that whole team of stylists," Loren said looking at Kelly. She brought her eyes back to Eddie's and said, "One of them could have been a plant. Maybe he or she overheard us talking upstairs."

"There was a lot of craziness going on," Kelly agreed. "Someone could have slipped up the stairs to listen, I guess."

"Or could have guessed what we would be talking about, and the stalker made it look like he knew that you told me," Eddie said. He looked directly at Loren and smiled, "Good call."

"Kelly, you and Steve get the list of everyone on that style team and who recommended them," Jake said. "Get all the info you can, and I'll give it to the detective I've been working with." He turned to Loren, "Good thinking, Loren."