chapter 15

Max walked through the club with a bag of breakfast tacos. Grace was behind the bar doing her final count of alcohol before she put in the next order.

"Did you go to Baja's?" Grace asked.

"Of course," Max said as he paused at the bar and started rooting through the bag. He pulled out a thick foil package and dropped it on the counter. "Bacon, egg and potato with extra cheese."

"Thanks, Max," Grace said as she walked over to him.

"I got Nora's favorites hoping she's feeling better," Max said.

"Is she sick?" Grace asked.

"She said she was," Max continued, "She didn't stay out with us last night."

"With Daphne and Stefania?"

"Yeah."

Grace chuckled, "Why are men so dense?"

"Excuse me?"

"Do you honestly not see what's going on?" Grace asked. "Those two women are up to something, and Nora knows it. She was trying to avoid conflict, so she stayed away."

"Nora?"

"Yes, Max," Grace said. "I could tell right away that Daphne had an ulterior motive. She's probably still pissed that you're dating Nora and not her. And that Stefania is a piece of work too."

"No, I've known her for years; she's always been a little . . . exuberant."

"Call it what you want," Grace said, "But I guarantee you Nora is not sick; she just didn't want to see those two vipers all over you. You better hope no one got shots of the three of you last night because if they did, I guarantee you they're on the internet right now."

Max thought about what Grace said and realized there was probably some truth in it. He never once thought that Nora would try to avoid the situation, but as he thought about the events of the night before, he had to agree that maybe he was being played by those two.

"Grace, you are worth your weight in gold," Max said. "Can you take these up to Nora? I've got to run a quick errand," he finished as he ran out the door.

Mel pounded on Eddie's door for a second time making sure she could be heard. She patiently waited as shuffled footsteps came closer to the door and finally opened it.

"Mel?"

"Ian," Mel answered. "I'm here to set you straight."

"Can you do it quieter?" Ian said as he turned and walked back into the living room. "I have a splitting headache."

"You did notice you were the only one drinking like a fool last night, right?" Mel asked as she walked past him and put her laptop down on the coffee table.

Ian looked over at Mel and just shook his head. "They're not here."

"I know; they're at the studio. I'm not here to see them right now. I'm here to see you." She motioned to the couch, "Sit."

"Intrigued, are you?" Ian smiled.

"Hardly," Mel said as she sat down and started up her laptop. "I want to finish our discussion from yesterday."

"Which one?" Ian asked curiously.

"The one about Loren and why she's perfect for your friend."

"Look, that's none of my business, or yours really."

"You're wrong," Mel said. "We are their closest friends. I don't know Eddie well, but I would guess that he doesn't have a lot of close friends. You are probably the closest to him. Don't make him have to defend his choice about being with Loren."