chapter 4

Nora took a deep drink from her Cabernet as Max told stories of being in New York in the day had been filled with site seeing and a lot of walking. It was Nora's first time to New York and she wanted to experience everything; her feet were paying the price, but she didn't care. Being with Max today had been breathtaking. He knew so much about the city, at least to someone who had never been there, and took her to the best spots to see as much as they could. Now, as promised, they were having the best meal in Little Italy.

"I've loved our alone time," Nora said with a giggle. She was feeling lightheaded from her third glass of wine. "This trip has been everything you promised."

"Good," Max said with a smile. "I'm glad you've enjoyed yourself. I know I have," he finished with a wink.

Nora wasn't sure if it was the wine or Max's eyes but something was making her blush.

"Maximo!" A loud voice said from the kitchen.

A man in his sixties with a round belly and a thick black mustache walked over to their table with his arms outstretched. His apron had various stains all over the front indicating his role in the kitchen.

"Rodolfo, how are you, my friend?" Max asked as he stood up and hugged the large man. Rodolfo gave Max a tight squeeze and slapped him on the back.

"It has been too long since you've been here," Rodolfo said. "I had begun to think you'd never return."
"My apologies," Max said. "LA has kept me busy, and so has my son."
"Ah, yes, big rock star son; you should be so proud."

"I am, I am. Nora, may I introduce the owner of this fine restaurant, Rodolfo Calzavara? He is one of my oldest friends in New York. Rodolfo, this is the lovely Ms. Nora Tate."

"Such a beautiful lady," Rodolfo said as he grabbed Nora's hand and placed a chaste kiss on the back of it. "I have a feeling you may also be a reason I have not seen Max here in New York lately."

"Oh, I don't know about that . . ." Nora said. "Max I need to . . ."

"Down to your left," Rodolfo answered pointing to the back of the restaurant.

Max grabbed Nora's hand as she passed him and gently pulled her towards him. He leaned in and softly pressed his lips against hers. She shivered. How could someone who was blushing shiver? She smiled at the paradox.

The men continued to talk as Nora went to the ladies' room. She walked in and was met by a beautiful woman, about her age, standing in front of the mirror putting on lipstick. The woman looked at Nora through the corner of her eye and sighed.

"So you're the flavor of the month?" she asked. Her black hair hung loosely halfway down her back. She was about Nora's height but with a bronze tan to her skin. Her large dark eyes never left Nora's face as she waited for Nora to say something.

"Pardon?" Who was this woman?

"Max Duran," the woman said. She looked Nora up and down and smiled. "He used to fly women into LA, but I guess that wouldn't impress you since you live there."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"He flew you on a private jet, you're staying in a penthouse suite, and he probably is entertaining you with stories about the good ol' days, am I right?"

Nora didn't say anything.

"Look, all I'm saying is enjoy it while it lasts, because it won't. He was dating someone before he starting seeing you, right?"

Nora didn't answer but kept staring at the woman.

"As soon as the next good thing came along, she was unceremoniously thrown out. You'll be next."