Chapter 5

Truth be told, it wasn't intentional. I just happened to be staring in his direction while I was trapped in my bad mood.

"Sorry," I murmured, blinking a few times and offering him an apologetic smile.

"Whatever," he replied, rolling his eyes. "Just make sure you're not like this at Quidditch Trials this evening."

"What? Quidditch Trials this evening?" Crap!

"Yes! I told you yesterday, Rose! Weren't you listening?"

Honestly...I hadn't been listening. It had been impossible to determine what he was shouting to me over the heads of first and second years in the Common Room because of the bellows Fred's Restricted Section book was letting out.

"Rose?" James asked, waving a hand in front of my face.

"Sorry!"

"Merlin, you're distracted."

"Sorry," I repeated.

"Will you stop apologizing? It's getting on my nerves," James said through a mouthful of scrambled eggs.

"Sorry-"

He interrupted me a sharp look.

"And what exactly is it you're sorry for, Rose?"

In a small voice, I answered, "I can't come to try-outs tonight."

Sighing angrily, he asked, "What, why in the world not?"

"I've got rounds with Scorpius. It's not my fault," I told him. Well, not unless you counted me falling asleep during the first Prefect's meeting and unwittingly signing up to do rounds on Tuesdays and Thursdays - one of the days that Jamie had booked the Quidditch Pitch.

"I said I wanted the whole team there, Rosie. Now I won't know if whoever I pick to replace Jonny is going to fight with you!" Slamming his fork down, he stood and stormed off.

"Jeez, what did you say to him, Rose?" Al asked. "I haven't seen him have that much for years. He's getting all mellow in old age."

"Al, being seventeen doesn't count as old age," Lily reminded him.

"Does," Al replied, his voice distorted by the piece of crispy bacon in his mouth.

Seeing my worried expression, Lily said, "He'll calm down. You know James - he likes a bit of drama."

"Yeah but Rose might find she's been murdered in her bed if something else goes wrong today..."

"Al! You're not helping!" Lily exclaimed.

"I've got to go," I murmured.

As I walked away from the Gryffindor table, I heard Lily mutter, "Now look what you've done, Al!"

"What?" he grumbled.

"Put your foot in it, that's what!"

Shouldering my bag more effectively, I headed up the stairs for Defence Against the Dark Arts, completely forgetting I shared those classes with the Ravenclaws. At least with the Ravenclaws there was no chance of being cursed during the lesson.

"Rose?" Someone said, clearly surprised by my appearance. "What are you doing here so early?"

I looked up and found myself face to face with Scorpius outside the classroom.

"Trying to escape certain members of my family..."

He nodded. "Right. Erm, I meant to say something about the other day-"

"-Sorry perhaps?" I butted in. I was surprised he'd completely avoided the subject the next day. And following his example, I'd pretended nothing had happened as well.