Chapter 19

I woke up as the noise in the Ravenclaw Common Room picked up, crowds of Ravenclaw's coming in and drawing up short when they found a Gryffindor girl on the sofa with her boyfriend.

"Isn't that Rose Weasley?" someone whispered.

My eyes moved behind their eyelids, as I wanted to know who said it but not reveal I was awake.

"Yeah..."

"I heard a rumor that she's going out with Scor," someone else hissed.

It didn't surprise me that people knew we were going out, but I was a bit caught off guard by the fact that his house mates seemed to use his nickname too. He always acted like me using it was a nuisance.

"Finally, he's been dancing around her for months!"

Murmurs and chuckling spread through the crowd gathered around the back of the sofa.

"Wonder how he won her over," another unidentified person mumbled. "She's so unattainable..."

If I hadn't been focusing so hard on not moving and keeping my breathing even, I would have done a double take, gasped, blinked furiously and perhaps pinched myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. How was I, Rose Weasley, unattainable? I was just ordinary, wasn't I?

"Yeah, but what girl can resist Scorpius? He's always had girls throwing themselves at him," someone responded miserably.

"That's true," another boy replied.

As the conversation continued with the Ravenclaw boys debating how Scorpius and I had got together, my muscles grew cramped and I longed to simply stretch my legs. My teeth were gritted together to stop a yawn slipping out and my limbs felt like iron, heavy and rock-solid against Scorpius.

Suddenly, he started awake as if coming out of a bad dream and instinctively pulled me close.

Finally I had an excuse to be awake and, most likely unconvincingly; I jumped and opened my eyes. The group of boys scattered and tried unsuccessfully to pretend to have been busy with other stuff.

"Rose?" he asked, seeming confused. His eyes flickered down and he seemed to realize how close we were, before pushing me back a bit and letting go of my waist to take my hand. His pale cheeks flushed red as my free hand caressed his face.

"Okay?"

He nodded as his breathing slowed, but there was a look of embarrassment about him.

"You should probably go...right?"

I nodded and began gathering my things, aware of everyone's eyes resting on me. My right hand fiddled nervously with my necklace as I said goodbye to my boyfriend in front of half his house.

"I'll...erm...see you tomorrow..."

He nodded and squeezed my left hand.

Turning bright red, I bent and kissed his cheek as quickly as I could and hurried from the room able to hear the gossiping start. With a glance over my shoulder, I saw the boys in our year cheering Scor and clapping him on the back.

It was only when I got back to Gryffindor Common Room that I realized I had forgotten to ask Scorpius again what he had talked about with my brother.

"How's Lover-Boy then?" Dom called loudly, leaning her head back over the back of the sofa to look at me.

"He's got a cold," I answered, throwing down my stuff into a chair and sliding onto its arm.

"Find out what he and Hugo talked about then?" she asked, leaning towards me in expectation of gossip. She really was shameless, I thought, as Hugo slammed the book he'd been reading on his knees closed and jogged up the Boy's dormitory stairs. "Oops..."