Chapter 9

"Great, now I've got to think of something to ask..."

"You're joking! You don't even have a question in mind?" I asked in disbelief. I'd begun to think Scorpius' questions were never-ending.

"No, I did, but I don't think I'm quite ready for you to murder me in my bed," he said, seeming completely serious.

Rolling my eyes, I lowered my head and returned to mopping, waiting in anticipation for Scorpius to ask me his second question.

While he tried to work out what he wanted to ask me, Scorpius grumbled sounds. It was highly distracting and I found myself beginning to dread what he would ask. Clearly it was not going to be a question I would like if he was earnestly entertaining the thought that I would end up killing him over it.

"A question..." he muttered to himself. "Come on, just one question...no not that one..." It was like Scorpius thought he was alone the way he was thinking aloud. "Alright, I give up! I can't think of another question so I'm just going to dig from the bottom of my heart - please don't kill me, Rose."

"Please tell me you're not asking about a girl crush?"

"No! Please! You can't seriously think I'm that kind of guy, Rose," he blurted in shock.

"Just wanted to be sure..."

"Well that's not what I'm asking."

He said nothing for a full minute.

"So...what are you asking?" I prompted, regretting the words the moment they were out of my mouth. I was just digging myself a deeper hole, or perhaps a deeper grave to fall into.

"Rose...why won't you give me a second chance?"

I couldn't look at him. I stared at the floor trying to find words to drag through my dry mouth. Nothing would come. My mouth just opened and closed, flapping uselessly like a fish.

"Rose?" Scorpius asked, taking my silence for reluctance. His fingers ghosted down my arm and took my hand, making me look up to work out what he was doing. My pained eyes took in his warm, grey ones and he whispered, "It's okay. You don't have to tell me." And though I knew the words were hard for him, he didn't show any of his pain unlike me. It wasn't that I didn't want to tell him, I just found myself running out of reasons for my actions.

I was clinging to my last argument. I could no longer claim that Scorpius had hurt me because I knew that it had been Veronica. I couldn't say we didn't get along because we did. And it had been pretty much proven that opposites attract - one only had to look at my parents for proof of that theory. There was nothing I could say to talk down Scorpius. He was mature; he wasn't chasing after me. He truly was a good person. But for some reason, I just didn't think I could be with him.

"At least we're can stay friends," Scorpius offered.

I nodded and returned my mop to the cupboard as Filch came to end our work.

"You may go," he scowled. "But remember, no more trouble making! You Weasleys are always a problem!"

"Hey!" I exclaimed.

"No talking back! Old Filch may not be a teacher but he can still inflict punishments..." He said, his voice quavering as he did his best to sound menacing.

"Rose isn't the trouble maker, it's me," Scorpius explained.

"I don't care which of you did it. You'll both be strung up in my dungeon if you don't get out of here," Filch threatened.

I hurried up the stairs with Scorpius at my heels, the both of us laughing loudly. Stopping at the fifth floor, we made our goodbyes.

"That was hilarious," Scorpius gasped.