Chapter 8

It was an odd experience. I could hear them, talking (well whispering really) and plotting revenge on Veronica. I just couldn't see them. For some time, I lay there taking in their words before I heard Scorpius' voice.

"I'm going to kill her," he growled.

I gasped and sat upright, my eyes flashing open. I swayed as I took in the sight of the ten people crowded around my bed in the Hospital Wing and the other one slinking way to the door. I watched Scorpius leave in the flurry of my family caused fussing over me and asking if I was alright.

"I'm so sorry about this morning, Rosie," James blurted.

"I forgive you, James," I sighed, running a hand through my messy bedhead.

"Great," he said, sounding relieved. "I expect you back in training within a week, mind."

"James...I'm not re-joining the quidditch team-"

"What? You have to, Rose. You're my best Chaser!" He complained, almost whining at me.

"Maybe when I'm fit again, but I just can't cope, James," I gently explained, beginning to divulge details of my various commitments. I hadn't been to a single Gobstones meeting this year and I was the president!

"Sorry," he muttered, dipping his head in shame. He mumbled an excuse about homework and left the Hospital Wing, leaving me with Lily, Albus, Dominique, Louis, Fred, Roxanne, Molly, Lucy and Hugo, who looked paler than I'd ever seen him.

Fred nodded at me and grinned. "Glad you're okay, Rosie. Better go and make sure James is actually doing that Potions work though..."

"Just don't distract him," I shouted uselessly after him. "Al?"

"Say no more. If James passes his NEWTs it'll be because I sat the exam for him," he joked as he stretched and grabbed his jumper of the end of my bed, pulling it over his messy black hair and following his cousin's footsteps.

"Just us girls then," Lily murmured from my right hand side. She was closest to my head and I nodded briefly.

"What are Louis and me?" Hugo asked indignantly. "Invisible?"

Dom solved the problem by taking their shoulders and manoeuvring them away from the foot of the bed and out the door, dusting her hands off as the door swung shut.

"S'okay!" Hugh called from the other side, his voice fading as he walked presumably towards Gryffindor Tower. "We know where we're not wanted!"

"What a world it would be without boys," she sighed.

"A good time," Lucy declared. "Fred and James were beginning to annoy me with those ridiculous theories..." She trailed off as she caught sight of Lily's gesture of drawing her hand in front of her neck.

"Theories?" I asked hesitantly.

"Well we are curious about why Veronica decided to just attack you," Dom explained.

Lily shot daggers at Lucy and Dom for bringing the topic up. But it was okay. It was time they knew really. They were my family after all and I'd hidden the truth from them for so long.

"Lily - it's okay."

"You sure?" She asked, turning from Dom's bewildered expression to look at me. Seeing my determined expression, she continued, "Yeah, you're sure."

I nodded, taking a deep breath and launched into the story. "Dom? You remember that Herbology lesson a few days ago with the Slytherin boys?"

"Yeah..."

"You remember they were talking about Scorpius and me?"

"Yeah...where's this going, Rose?"

"Well, Scorpius-and-I-went-on-a-date," I mumbled, running my words together.