Chapter 21

The film started as I snuggled back into Scor's chest with him looping his arms around my waist and pressing his cheek against the top of my head.

As the beginning credits rolled up, a thought occurred to me.

"How did you even get in here?" I mumbled, my voice scratchy by my sore throat.

"Sorry?"

I repeated the question, growing slightly annoyed at being ill and unable to be understood.

"I have my ways," he replied mysteriously.

"Care to reveal the secret?"

"Nope, the film's starting."

Rolling my eyes, I turned my attentions to the iPod that rested against my stomach where he held it.

"I know by the way," I yawned, smiling at the film.

"Know what?" Scorpius asked.

"I know about your talk with Hugo."

He leant to the side to look at me.

Rolling my eyes, I continued, "I know he's gay."

"Oh thank Merlin!" he exclaimed. "I hate hiding things and keeping secrets from you."

I smiled and laid my hand over his.

"I know."

He kissed the top of my head and tightened his arms about my waist.

We lay in silence watching the film for a few moments before my curiosity got the better of me and I asked, "So what happened exactly with you and Hugo?"

"I'm not sure I should tell you..."

"I already know he's gay so what difference is telling me how you found out going to make?" I reminded him.

"I guess you're right," he replied before beginning his tale. "So you remember I followed him from your Common Room?"

I nodded, tipping my head back to look at him.

"Well, I hurried after him - he was walking kind of quickly so I ended up running to keep up and kept shouting his name, but he just ignored me and sped up. Eventually we were both running through the corridors, and even though I managed to draw level with him, I couldn't get Hugo to stop until I backed him into a corner round by Moaning Myrtle's bathroom."

"What happened then?" I interrupted as Scor paused for breath, desperate for any information. Remembering the last time Scorpius and Hugo had been alone, I couldn't help worrying that there might be violence involved in the story.

He stifled a laugh and continued, "Well then I started to question him. I mean, it was obvious that something was bothering him; you could see it in his eyes. He was looked weary, stressed - though I never imagined what it was that was causing that. I just thought it was about me and you, or something else"

"-What did you say to him, then?"

Sounding amused, Scorpius said, "Well if you'd let me finish, I'd be able to tell you." He looked at me with his eyebrows raised for a few moments, as if he was daring me to say something smart or challenge him, then carried on speaking. "The first thing I said was, 'Listen, I know you and me aren't exactly friends, and that you don't like me or the relationship I have with Rose, but it's obvious that you need to talk to someone and I'm willing to listen.' Hugo, of course, stared at me looking surly, his look so intense that I almost believed he was contemplating which curse to use on me."

I looked at him in doubt. Hugo never used to be like that. His eyes were never dark with deep hatred or anger. He just wasn't capable of anything like that. As a child his eyes had always held happiness. I'd just attributed his more recent mood swings and anger to being a teenager and inheriting the prejudice against the Malfoys that the rest of our family had.