Chapter 30

I zoned out then, as Scorpius moved to peer at the crossword over my father's shoulder. Although, I still felt like Dad was testing Scor, it looked like they would get on better in the future. Dinner was the same; Dad was full of questions for Scorpius, though he and Mum both seemed genuinely interested to hear the answers.

After Dinner, Scorpius headed home, leaving me to play chess with my father. Every once in a while he would insist on having a game, and though I had more logical skill than Hugo, I was never quite as keen as Dad to play.

"I've got to pass my skills on to someone, Rosie, or the chess-playing gene will die out," Dad told me as he began setting up the board.

Rolling my eyes, I sat down and, playing as white, moved my first pawn.

As usual, Dad beat me severely. By the end of the game, all of my pieces were lying at the side of the board in various states of damage. My queen, for instance, was headless.

The rest of the holidays passed in the same way. Tori and Teddy visited a few times, and I met up with the girls in London, using the London Underground to get to Oxford Street for a spot of shopping. Lily appeared to have grown and needed some new Muggle clothes, so we all took it as an opportunity to get some things for ourselves.

By the end of the two week holiday, I'd been shopping in London twice, to a local Zoo with Scorpius once, started studying for the series of mock exams we would have once we returned to school and played a number of quidditch matches. Lucy and I had finally watched The Notebook and we'd been grandma and grandpa Weasleys' house to see Uncle Charlie while he was temporarily back from Romania. Going back to Hogwarts felt like sweet relief after being so busy.

When I sat down with Scorpius on the train, up in the Prefect's compartment, I knew that telling Dad had been a good thing. He had even waved to both of us as we stood at one of the doors. I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my chest, and I was able to fully enjoy the journey, despite the fact that we had to spend most of the time on our feet patrolling the train. We were only able to re-join my family for about an hour before the train stopped at Hogsmeade and we piled into the carriages to be taken up to the school. With the rest of my family not knowing Hugo's secret, it was impossible for me to ask him about how it had gone with Jasper.

As always Professor McGonagall welcomed us back with a speech and a feast though at the end, she asked Professor Longbottom and Professor Richards to ask Scorpius and me to remain behind to see her.

Pleased with our behavior, and feeling charitable after no doubt enjoying the odd Easter egg, she told us that the restrictions on us were lifted. Scorpius hi-fived me as we left the hall.

"Studying outdoors tomorrow?" I asked, referring to our double free period in the morning.

"Sure," Scorpius replied before kissing me on the cheek to say goodnight.

"See you tomorrow!" I called to him cheerily, jogging up a few stairs. When I arrived at the Common Room, I was surprised to find Fred and Sienna actually studying for the NEWTs. Since they started dating they couldn't keep their hands off each other. Even then they were still awful close while studying, Fred kept rubbing her knee and Sienna would look up into his eyes and they would exchange little pecks, but there was no sign of Hugo. "Hugo in his dorm?" I asked Louis.

"Yeah, he said he had a little bit of homework left," my cousin replied, jumping slightly at my proximity and the fact that I'd spoken straight into his ear.

"Thanks," I told him, dashing up the boys dormitory stairs to find him.

Once more he was alone in his dorm, leaning back against his pillows with a piece of parchment resting on a book on his knees.