Chapter 20

Recap: Rose just found out that Hugo was gay
👬👬👬👬👬👬👬👬👬👬
Hugo continued to stare at me, unmoving. I could barely even see him breathing.

"Hugo?" I asked worriedly, waving my hand in front of his eyes.

He blinked rapidly a few times and then seemed to see me again.

"Hugo?" I repeated.

After a few moments, he demanded, "How did you find out?"

"I...I just guessed..."

Seeming not to believe me, he muttered, "I knew Scorpius would tell you-"

"-Tell me what? He's barely spoken to me since you two had your little 'guy talk'," I said, butting in.

Sighing, Hugo met my eyes. "What I'm about to tell you, you can't tell anyone."

I nodded, feeling intrigued.

"You're right," he said slowly, "I am gay - or at least I think I am."

Instantly, a million questions sprang to mind. How long had he known? Did he have his eye on anyone? Or had he already been in a relationship? Who else knew?

Knowing from my expression that I was about to launch into an interrogation, Hugo swiftly continued talking; answering the questions he guessed I was going to ask.

"I wouldn't know really because I haven't had a relationship with a guy yet...but I've never really been attracted to girls. James tried to set me up with Jenny once, but I just couldn't talk to her," he explained.

"That could just be nerves," I murmured, thinking about how Scorpius had previously shown his affection for me. Everyone was different - while he had used tricks and pranks, Teddy had used friendship on Victoire.

He shook his head insistently. "No, I looked at her and she was just a girl. She wasn't beautiful to me. She wasn't special and I saw her as a person, nothing more. There wasn't anything that drew me to her. But...I don't know how to explain it...when I look at a guy, I don't know, I just feel more me. Does that make sense?"

"I guess..."

"I can't explain it right," he angrily exclaimed, standing up and kicking at the post of his bed.

"You don't have to. You don't have to explain a single part of yourself, Hugh, it's who you are," I said gently, taking his hand and pulling him back down onto his bed.

His fingers squeezed mine and he gave me a wry grin.

"Anyway, when Scorpius went after me the other night...he said that he'd heard some rumors and it kind of all just came out. I'd never told anyone, and it was killing me - trying to hide who I was and pretending to be someone else. I should have guessed that you'd be supportive - after all, nobody wants to accept you and Scorpius, just like no-one will accept me after they find out," he told me glumly.

"You don't know that," I mumbled, pulling him into a hug. I stared at the wall, trying to find something else to say. I was way out of my depth. Everyone knew that although I was kind, I wasn't really that supportive. If you wanted support, you went to Victoire or Lily. They were the advice givers in the family. "And I'll always stand by you; I'm your sister, dummy."

"Great," he muttered sarcastically. "Now I feel awful about almost outing you and Scorpius to Mum and Dad."

"I wouldn't worry about it. Mum knows," I tried to say.

"I was just jealous-"

"-Of me?"

He nodded. "You've got to understand. I was miserable. I've never had anyone fancy me-"